[47]

The home theater was switched on, playing the seventh episode from the third season of the Netflix show Grace and Frankie. The lights in the living room were switched off and only two occupants were cuddled together on the couch, wrapped up in a blanket with a huge bowl full of popcorn on top.

Tim and Olivia were binge-watching the show because neither could go to sleep and there was nothing else for them to do. Olivia couldn't sleep due to anxiety as she was scheduled for surgery the next day. And Tim knew that so he stayed with her, taking an off from patrol.

Right then binge-watching the comedy show was a sort of distraction and it seemed to work as a couple of episodes later, she had gotten invested in the story and didn't think much about the next day.

"I am scared by how much I relate with Frankie," Olivia remarked, taking a handful of popcorn from the bowl, "it feels like this show is telling me that by the time I'm 70-something, I'll be a crazy hippie grandma."

Tim chuckled, "Frankie's my favorite character."

"Mine's Brianna, she's such a girl boss," she added.

"A girl boss who's emotionally unavailable and can't handle relationships."

"Oh shut up, Tim, you don't get to say that of all people."

Silence engulfed them as the story proceeded and they were watching Mallory's conversation with her mother Grace which had a very heart-touching feel to it. The scene then changed to Robert and Sol, the ex-husbands of Grace and Frankie respectively who had divorced their wives so that they could get married.

A while later, Olivia spoke up, "don't you dare be a Sol to me, okay?"

"Wait what? Of all the people in this show, you compared me with Sol?"

"No, because you're friendly and protective and comforting and adorable just like Sol... But you tend to shut people out when you're going through something yourself," she explained, reaching out to take his hand in hers, "so if there's anything whatsoever that tells you maybe we shouldn't stay together or maybe we should consider breaking up, don't slam it in my face at the last moment. Just tell me the first instance you feel something like that. I promise I'll understand."

Tim hadn't been expecting to hear that and he pulled her close, "hey, that time would never come, okay? How could you even think I would ever do that?"

She shook her head, "I'm not saying you could or you will do it but if there's any problem with us, just be honest. Don't keep bearing it silently as Sol did and then explode at an inconvenient time."

He knew she was somewhat emotional already due to being worried about her surgery and that caused her to overthink and overanalyze even though they were just watching a TV show. So he went along with it and entwined their pinky fingers together.

"I won't ever be a Sol to you, I promise."

She laughed as she looked down at their hooked fingers, "pinky promises are so cute."

"I think they are like unbreakable vows," he remarked, "you should never break a pinky promise or it brings bad luck."

"Oh, we definitely don't want any bad luck around," she replied, "don't you dare break it then."

He spoke up, "I want you to make a pinky promise too."

"Okay, what is it?"

"Promise me that if I ever get overbearing or you feel like there's something you should discuss with me regarding us, you will let me know too," he elaborated, "so that we can figure out a solution together."

She smiled, hooking their pinky fingers together, "pinky promise."

***

Bruce, Tim, and Steph accompanied Olivia to the hospital in the morning. She was nervous but trying her best to remain calm because she didn't want the others to get worried due to her.

Before the surgery, her vitals were taken and they all were assuring her that everything would be alright and there was nothing to worry about.

"You all are gonna wait for me here," she asked, right before being taken to the Operation Theater.

"Of course," Tim replied, "and when you recover, we'll be the first people you see."

"But Bruce, you can go if you have any meeting or any other commitment," she remarked with a slight smile, "I understand."

"There's nothing more important than this," Bruce patted her head gently, "we will all be right here."

She paused and her eyes were about to well up as she asked, "can I hug you?"

"Certainly." Bruce hugged her briefly and at that moment, Olivia felt that even though her father wasn't around anymore with her, she still had a caring father figure in Bruce.

She felt grateful that she had decided to help him out when he had turned up at her house injured. Because if she hadn't, then she would never have gotten to meet them all and have some of the best moments and friendships in her life.

Steph whispered to Tim "this is such an adorable moment that I kinda wanna take a pic but I don't want to be intrusive either."

"Don't, she'll get mad at you."

After that, she hugged both Steph and Tim then as it was time, she was finally taken to the Operation Theater. The three of them were waiting outside on the seats in the corridor.

She would be given anesthesia first and then the surgery was supposed to take around one and a half or two hours at most. After that, she would be taken to the recovery room where the anesthesia would wear off and she would be kept under observation.

Doctor Winslow had met up with Bruce before going to perform the surgery and assured him that all the reports from her tests conducted beforehand were normal and there wouldn't be any issue with the procedure.

When the doctor had left, Bruce came back to Tim and Steph who were sitting in wait. Steph was keeping Tim talking so that he wouldn't get too worried and be distracted. But it was very evident that he was just as nervous as Olivia had been.

"Don't worry," Bruce patted his head too, "she will be okay. You know removing those chips was very important for her to prevent her from going through any trouble later on."

"Yeah, and you remember how Gemma was able to take control of her using the chips too? Even if she's not around anymore, still it will be better for Olivia to not have those chips so that no such situation could have a chance of reoccurring," Steph added.

He nodded, "I know and I understand. It's just that she has been so worried about it even though she doesn't let it show. I hope everything goes well."

"It will," Bruce reassured him, "Edmund Winslow is an expert in his field. I trust him to handle this case effectively."

"I know..."

"Then don't stress out so much," Steph squeezed his hand gently, "she's very strong and she will survive this too. I'm very certain about it."

***