Paper rings

-I knew I could find you here- Carlos said while going out to the porch

We had decided to prepare the wedding for the end of 2024, so the season would be over and we could do it in the same village in Thailand that we went to years before.

He came with his pillow under his arm and lay down next to me on the sofa, raising his arm so that I rested my head on his chest.

-Do you sometimes think about how things could have turned out differently?- I ask once he's settled.

-About us?

-About everything. If you think about it, any small detail of your day can change how the rest of your life will be.

Think of it like a race. Any change in strategy, which wheels to put on, when to pit, every detail influences the result of it all.

-That's the best part Valentina.

-Why would that be the best part? It's nerve wreaking.

-But think about it. Every decision counts, every moment counts, and yet all of that has led us here.

-But it might not have.

What if the bartender had listened to me at the club? What if Carlos hadn't asked me for my instagram? Or if I hadn't agreed to go with him to Thailand. Where would we be now?

-But it did. For some reason which I don't understand but I'm grateful for, we had to meet at that time. And then everything that came after, maybe it was fate, maybe just pure luck, but I'm sure I wouldn't change a thing.

Carlos' POV

I saw her at the end of the aisle. She looked spectacular, her bare feet in the sand and a flowing dress that with the breeze made it seem like she was floating.

When she reached the altar next to me and I took her hand, our eyes met, no longer able to tear themselves apart during the entire ceremony. And then I knew, even though I already had it quite clear. She was the one for me, always had, always will be.

Later on, on the reception, Charles took a microphone and tapped it a couple of times to get everyone's attention.

-Okay let's play a game, Val, Carlos, please take off your shoes.

-Take off my shoe?- Val asked confused.

-Yes, woman, it's not so complicated, take off your shoes.

She grabbed my shoulder as she took off her heels and then I knelt down to take off my shoes.

Miri and Blanca had put two chairs in the middle of the dance floor with their backs to the other.

-Now sit down, and exchange one shoe with the other so that you have one of each.

We listened to him, waiting for him to explain what the game was about.

-The game is simple, I will ask a question and you will answer by raising one of the shoes. Got it?