prologue.

PROLOGUE

'  𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐃𝐀𝐘, 𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐂𝐇 𝟐𝟑, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟔  'MTV Entertainment Studios ━━━━MTV NewsManhattan, New York

' 𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐃𝐀𝐘, 𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐂𝐇 𝟐𝟑, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟔 '
MTV Entertainment Studios ━━━━
MTV News
Manhattan, New York .ᐟ

❛ I   TAKE IT
  AS   A   COMPLIMENT. ❜

Imani sat comfortably against a chair that rested behind a black background. A few makeup artists are up at their feet, doing occasional touch-ups before it's time for their break.

Wearing a long black leather trench coat that concealed her colorful mesh shirt slightly (contrasting greatly with the all-black outfit she wore), around her neck was a necklace with her nickname Mani in gold cursive letters and to pair it off with matching leather baggy pants and boots. Her hair was styled in loose curls with the ends of it being an ombré red which hugged the shape of her face with ease. Lastly, her makeup look is something simple yet refreshing.

Her interviewer, Tabitha Soren a well-known MTV reporter in the music scene, arrives from the back and greets Imani with a smile. Sitting down across from her the camera refocuses before it finally lands on the two of them perfectly.

The interview was something to look forward to as both women were eager to do it.

The background is buzzing with action as staff members rushed over to their positions. One of them started the countdown indicating that the interview has to start now.

3, 2, 1 and we're re-rolling a cameraman says and the two women proceeded through the interview.

"Today we have a special guest with us, the talented, Imani welcome." Tabitha greeted.

Imani greets with a smile "Awe thank you Tabitha and hey MTV."

"Before we dive deep into this interview how are you doing today? I know that you've been busy with making music and everything."

"Well." she began taking a deep breath causing those in the background to laugh quietly at her humor "I'm doing alright, how are you doing?"

"I'm great thanks for asking."

Tabitha lends a smile before pulling out her questions "So when you first began, you sent a demo to LaFace records and they rejected it saying that you didn't fit the image that they wanted, is that true?"

"Yes it is true. I didn't get signed by LaFace but what happened happened and I'm over it," she answers with a shrug before smiling.

Tabitha nods while the pages of the large notepad that resided on her lap "You deputed back in 1993 with the rock-infused r&b song if followed by its electric music video and ungodly choreography which had everyone amazed. Can you tell us what was the thought process behind it?"

If was her first song to have ever hit the charts and push her into superstardom "Well not many know this but I had already written most of the song back in '92–shocking I know, that a nineteen-year-old wrote those lyrics but anyways." she laughs before continuing "When I got signed I went to the studio with my sister to meet everyone and that's when I met Jodeci. A little while later DeVanté Swing met up with me in the studio, we began talking about what I wanted my sound to be like and I immediately said rock infused with r&b with lingering hues of new jack swing...and the rest is history."

Tabitha nods flipping a question "That's incredible—it's amazing how you knew what you wanted and aimed for it. on your debut, when If came out people began calling you the next Janet Jackson, and the next Mariah Carey. what are your thoughts on comparisons?"

Imani wanted to roll her eyes so much, she was beyond tired of the ridiculous comparisons but kept her composure "I take it as a compliment but as for me being the next Janet Jackson that's not even possible she's an amazing artist and person. As for Mariah there shouldn't even be a comparison because she's amazing at what she does. That's all I have to say."

Tabitha hums in agreement "There's also a question that many of your fans and fans of Jodeci have been dying to get an answer to." she began changing the subject.

Imani raised a questioning eyebrow "I think I know where this is going." upon hearing the name Jodeci she knew what the question would be. There's been a lot of speculation on who she was dating and if it was a certain member of the group.

With a teasing yet cautious smile, Tabitha asked "What is your relationship with DeVanté Swing?"

Imani saw it coming from a mile away: her and DeVanté Swing. There were many rumors of them being an item dialing back to 1993 when they met. Despite the many rumors, neither chose to respond to them.

That was all it took for Imani to playfully point a finger accusingly "See I knew you were gonna ask me that, I had a feeling."

Tabitha raised her hands in defense "I'm just asking the questions to fans wanna know."

Her smile grew wide with prominence, bringing a hand to her face as she grew shy "I don't wanna say too much cause I wanna be y'know private." She breathes out before continuing "The only thing I'll say is that I'm happy." She concluded alluding more mysteriousness that surrounded the pair's relationship.

If there was a live audience with them right now they would've been screaming at the roof of their lungs due to her avoiding the question yet answering the question without stuttering.

Tabitha looked at the camera and then back at Imani "Well there you have it."

"Alright enough about relationships, let's talk about you in general." Placing the questions on the table away from the camera, Tabitha asks "What do you want your legacy to be?"

Imani sat back in her seat, allowing herself to get even more comfortable "My legacy." She hadn't put much thought into her legacy let alone what she wanted to see come out of it.

"I mean I know right now you're only 22–it's a pretty big jump, but if you could be like, hey this is what I want to leave my mark as." Tabitha corrects.

"I'm not sure what I see my legacy as, especially how I'll picture it when I'm long gone but for now I'll say that I just want the people, my fans to see me as an entertainer, as Imani. Y'know as someone who creates music and art that inspires them. I'll get back to you on how I feel as the years go by but for now, it's just me."

authors note: The prologue is here.
let me know what you guys think.
If you haven't noticed If
is a song by Janet Jackson
which is off her Janet album.