thirty

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 THIRTY

'  𝐖𝐄𝐃𝐍𝐄𝐒𝐃𝐀𝐘, NOVEMBER 𝟏𝟕, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟐  'N/A ━━━━LET'S TALKNew York, NY

N/A ━━━━
LET'S TALK
New York, NY .ᐟ

❛ I DON'T   KNOW. ❜

Imani found herself sliding into the passenger seat of DeVanté's car, clawing her mouth shut as she didn't know exactly what to say. What she did say was "Wanna talk?" and that left with the man leading her to his car where they could talk more privately. As she sat there her lips remained glued shut. After avoiding what couldn't be avoided anymore she finally leaps and says what she has to say but suddenly finds the urge to speak lessening by the minute.

However, DeVanté was already jumping on the opportunity to address the previous situation the minute he sank into his seat and turned on the engine, "What's going on with you Imani? You've been ignoring me for weeks now, hell even avoiding me. It's like I'm a damn ghost to you."

"I don't know," Imani responded in a much quieter matter, her eyes remaining trained on the car windows. She continued looking at the various buildings and people.

"What do you mean you don't know Imani?" DeVanté repeated, finding the answer not so hard to believe.

"I don't know!" Imani yelled, maybe a little bit too loud. Her head turned towards him in a rush. DeVanté sat back in his seat in slight shock, not expecting to hear Imani raise her voice. She's never done that before.

Noticing his fallen expression, Imani breathes out with an eventual sigh coming out, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled at you like that. I'm sorry." She apologies.

"Just talk to me." He didn't appear upset or angry at all. DeVanté just wanted to know what was genuinely on in her mind.

"Okay." Imani allowed herself to finally say what was bothering her for these past couple of days. Noticing how he wasn't looking at her in any type of way that showed anger instead, he looked genuinely concerned. "I've been thinkin'. And ever since that fight, I think that we should take things slow...slower than the way things are now." Imani states carefully but firmly to get her point across, "My album is set on being released in less than a month. Besides that I have photoshoots and rehearsals, Puff just got fired, and I have to give Uptown a song for the soundtrack that I have yet to figure out what I want from it, you got Jodeci and a plethora of other things regarding your career." Imani stopped giving herself some time to breathe before continuing, "And I just think that it would be smart if we just take it slow. The rush isn't worth it. Let's just enjoy the moment."

DeVanté listened to her intently, knowing that everything she was saying was true. The fight. He'll admit that things took a shift after the fight and Imani's reluctance and avoidance towards him and her sister only proved his doubts. "You're right," DeVanté admitted, his thick lips brushing over the other to make it moist, "We're both just trying to navigate the industry," He said, his hazel eyes softening into a tender, pool-like hue, "All while navigating through this relationship together. So yeah let's take it slow."

Imani sat there in silence, looking at the man with a sense of comfort beaming through the air. Imani felt like a breeze of relief came through her body. Resting her back against the plush seats she looks at him, "Since we're taking things slow, with that comes honesty. For us to have some sort of trust we need to be honest and not keep even the littlest things hidden because only for so long a secret can remain hidden. Cool?"

DeVanté felt his throat run dry at the mention of honesty. In all truth, he wanted to be as honest as he possibly could with Imani but there was just one secret he's been hiding. A secret that's been eating him from the inside out.

He needed the right time to do it. The thing is how long will it take for it to blow up in his face?

With a nod, DeVanté swallowed thickly, "Cool."

Imani could stare at the man who was currently driving the seat. She could notice that there was a bit of reluctance from him but decided not the press on the topic. For now.

Once they neared a familiar street, Imani pointed to a building, "Uh, can we head over to the studio right there." She notices the look that he is giving her and only smiles, "I gotta attempt to finish this track."

Attempt to procrastinate for the next two hours and then stare at lyrics with no feeling as to what the beat would sound like. She was in a slump. A major slump and it was bothering her to the extent.

"So that's why you've been avoiding me?" DeVanté jokes which only makes Imani roll her eyes rather harshly.

"And I'll continue if you try it." She warns light-heartedly.

authors note: An update is here! In honor of black history month I decided why not update! I was also bullied by PRINCESCUMSOUP To update so here we are. WE ALSO HIT 16K READSSSSSSSS. I just wanna say thank you to everyone who've read this book and I love you so much. Happy Black History Month and stay tuned because it's far from over <3