Chapter Eight | Promises

• • • •

• • • •

"You okay?" Marcus asked me as he sat down in my bed. I sat up slowly and nodded.

Claire had stitched me up. It hadn't hurt that bad, but Jake was raging and Terry had to focus on calming him down.

Which I guess is why Marcus was here to check on me.

"What happened?" Marcus asks and turns to me. I shrug carelessly.

"Does it matter?" I ask him harsher than I anticipated. His gaze hardened and I rolled my eyes at his reaction.

"I'm asking you what happened, answer me" He says sounding like he was demanding my answer.

I looked at him wondering why he would demand an answer this way, because of Jake? Maybe it was for him.

"Alexandra—" Marcus states warningly, using my full first name to dominate me, to make me submissive towards him, to answer to him.

"Marcus" I say in the same voice. I'm acting like a child, but I owed him no explanations.

I didn't owe him to respond by him using my name as a threat to make me talk.

"Who hurt you?" Marcus asked while leaning in closer to my face, his eyes seemed to darken as he said the words.

My heart was racing and panic started to wander in my body.

"It's handled" is the only thing I can make myself say. Marcus clenched his jaw and he brings his hand up to my face.

Grabbing my chin in his hand, making me hold the intense eye contact with him.

"Say that one more time while looking into my eyes" Marcus says in a small but fierce voice.

"It's—" I pause as I feel his eyes stripping me bare, pulling the truth out of me like I had no choice.

His eyes drilled into mine so intensely that it gave me goosebumps.

"—handled" I finally voiced the last statement.

Marcus lifted my head higher towards his, still using my chin to control me.

"Marcus—" I start but his eyes tell me to shut up.

"Who handled it then?" He asked, I felt his breath on my lips and I had to remind myself of what this really was.

A interrogation for my brother. Because he's my brothers best friend.

"Serena and I did" I say feeling more calm, I feel compelled to hold his eyes locked with mine, I didn't dare break the connection.

"Then it's not handled" Marcus concluded. The connection snapped and I tore my eyes away from his, looking down.

Only that didn't help my situation. Seeing his veiny arm gripping my thigh to hold me still didn't help me resist him at all.