Short-Lived conversations (Literally)

"Good morning."

Reki jolts at the sound of your voice, his desk creaking as it tips over slowly. "Hey!" He greets sheepishly, haphazardly keeping his desk upright. "Morning."

"Long night?" You'd asked as you sat down, watching him stretch his neck.

Reki lays against his desk, huffing as he looks at you. "You've got no idea." He'd spent all afternoon tweaking a board that ended up in flames at the end of the night. He takes in the slight dimness of your eyes and the noticeable darkness under them, "Same for you?" He questioned, turning his body to face you as you sighed.

"Studying," you shrug, practically slamming your notebook onto your desk. "For something completely unnecessary for my future."

Reki chuckles lightly; he understands the feeling. Spending and wasting life's minutes to do something non-beneficial only for it to blow up and out of hand despite hard efforts.

"You've thought about your future a lot?" He asks, curiosity piqued.

You look to the side, "No, not at all." He tilts his head at your answer, looking away from you when your gaze snaps to him. "I just know I won't be using– what is it–" you glance down at your notebook. "Uh– quadratic formulas at a grocery store."

Reki laughs at your example, covering his smile with the back of his hand. "I guess that's true."

The conversation is cut short when the teacher walks in, Reki catching your eye as he sits up. You send him a wink — he feels his face warm — and mouth the word 'lunch' to him.

"Alright class," the professor started, propping their feet on the desk as they leaned back in their chair. "Let's talk business."

a/n: three (or so) happy years not using the quadratic formula

i am the professor.