Just Friends

"You need me to walk you home?"

Reki glanced at you from the corner of his eye as he stepped out the door, scoffing at your face. "I'm not a child."

"Never said you were," you said, leaning against the door. "Maybe I just wanted to spend more time with you." Reki blinks at your words. Are you teasing him? "I guess I'll just see you tomorrow."

Reki lets the door shut in his face, letting out a frustrated groan as he recalls what happened earlier. How– no, why did you look so proud when you saw how flustered he'd gotten? Why did you even lean against him like that in the first place?

Why did you look like you wanted to kiss him just as much as he wanted to kiss you?

He stomped down the stairs, grumbling with every step he took the entire way to his house. He doesn't want to like you, not like that, at least. But Reki has finally realized that he won't ever be satisfied with just being friends with you.

Could what he feels even be considered a crush anymore?

——

The next day, you realize you wouldn't see Reki, considering it was the weekend and school was out. Yet, Reki stands at the entrance of your backyard, staring at you from the gate to where you sat under the silo, and he can't help but smile to himself.

"Hey, creep." He jolts at your voice, not realizing you'd open your eyes.

He looks down as he walks to you, sitting beside you, shoulder pressed against yours. "Hey, weirdo." You bump your arm against him, and when he looks down, he sees the baby goat on your lap. "Hey, goat." It bleats at him, making the both of you laugh.

"Do you wanna feed her?" He nods his head eagerly, gently taking the bottle from you. You move the baby to the middle of your lap and take Reki's hand lightly.

He can tell by the look on your face that you heard his breath hitch.

"Be gentle." You whisper, looking at him as he lifts the bottle to the baby's lips. He frowns when it jerks its head away and rolls his eyes when you laugh. "She's not scared, don't worry."

He can't breathe steadily anymore, not with you leaning against him like this.

There's a part of you that wants Reki to turn his head, but there's another that hoped he didn't, in fear he wouldn't feel the same.

Wait. Feel the same? What was there to feel? What was there to reciprocate?

"Why are you looking at me like that?" You hear him say, eyes widening when you realize just how close he was to you. "Y/n?"

"I," you cut yourself off, turning away from him when he inches closer to you. "I'm sorry." He nods his head, turning to face your house, "Reki–"

"It's okay," he says, looking at you. There's a glint in his eyes, of what you couldn't tell, but you know he doesn't mean that. "We're just friends, right?"

You nod slowly. Reki understands now, "Right. Just friends."

a/n: if you don't know what a silo is it's the big towers on farms that hold grains

a/n: if you don't know what a silo is it's the big towers on farms that hold grains. this one isn't as big but maybe a two-story house tall.

also. I know these chapters don't seem connected at all, with how fast everything is moving but that's how crushes go ( at least mine lol ) they're unpredictable and can lead to more trouble than good

But not for reki and y/n 👍 everyone else stay safe 😹