Backpack

"Someone's coming over today."

Your grandpa turns his head at your words, nodding as you weave around him to get to the fridge. "Who?"

"My classmate." You answer, grabbing the jug of milk. "We're going to work on a project in my room." He nods, grabbing two spoons as you pour the milk over the two bowls of cereal he set out. "We'll try not to be too loud."

He shakes his head, "I'm not worried about the noise level, Y/n." He laughs, "You know my hearing isn't that sensitive."

"I know, just making sure." He smiles at your concern, patting your back as you scarfed down the rest of your breakfast. "I'll see you after school, yeah?"

He hums, "I'll make some sandwiches." You give him a thumbs up before turning on your heel to go to the door, sliding on your shoes, and grabbing your bag. "Have a good day."

"You too, grandpa!" You called out, rushing to catch the stoplight before it changed. You huffed when you reached the other side, looking down the hill when you heard mumbled curses and a loud thud.

Red tufts of hair enter your line of sight, your posture straightening when you realize it was Reki. "Hey, you okay?"

His head whips up to you at your voice, cheeks growing red, and mind left wondering if you'd seen him fall. "I'm fine. It happens all the time."

He walks up the hill, deck in hand, backpack slung haphazardly over his shoulder. "Your bags open." You tell him, standing behind him to zip the large pocket, ultimately sliding the bag off his shoulder to hold it.

"You don't have to–"

"It's okay." You smile, "I saw you fall. You landed on your shoulder." He covers his face with his hands when you tell him you'd witnessed his fall, embarrassed slews of words coming out. "It's alright." You chuckled, rubbing your hand against his back.

His hands slid off his face, the skin under his eyes being pulled as he looked at you. "It's embarrassing." You shrug. "I can't believe I've only known you for two weeks and already embarrassed myself."

"You already did something prior." He tilts his head. "Called me pretty, then avoided me like the plague?"

"No idea what you're talking about." He says, laughing when you shove his shoulder. "And I didn't avoid you. I was just...well, embarrassed." He laughed.

"You're such a dork."

Reki rolls his eyes but doesn't say anything about it, letting a comfortable silence take over as you walk to school.

a/n: I can't stop listening to ex by stray kids, so maybe I'll write a sad chapter soon.   And I don't know if I mentioned, but updates for this series are going to be slow.