Project Proposals

"I can't believe we're in the second week of school and we already have a project assigned to us," Reki scoffs, rolling back and forth on his board like he was pacing. "I mean, we haven't even learned anything!"

Offering a chip– which he gladly accepts– you peek up at him, "I can do all of it if you want." You proposed, biting the corner of your own, "They did say it could be about anything and you've seen my notes, I'm sure I can manage it."

He shakes his head, stepping off his board and letting it roll as he sits beside you. "I don't wanna rely on you like that," he says, waving his foot back and forth. "I'd feel too guilty for making you do everything on your own."

"Okay," you said, tapping your fist against your leg. "Then let's find a common topic we're both interested in and go from there."

Silence wafts around the both of you as you think, neither of you saying a word for the next minute.

"This is pretty hard." You murmured, glancing at Reki from the corner of your eye. "Do we even have anything in common?" You laughed.

Reki tilts his head back in thought, staring up at the sky. "Do you like the ocean?" You hum, nodding your head after thinking. "Not so much to make a presentation about it?" You shake your head.

"Do you like space?" You tried, looking up at the clouds.

"I like aliens." He says, smiling when you let out an unconcealed laugh.

"We could use that," you say, covering your mouth when you'd smile. "Talk about the endless possibilities of what and who's out there."

Reki takes another chip after asking, plopping it into his mouth in one go as he says, "I bet people wouldn't expect it from you," you turn your head at him, a confused stare on your face. "I don't know, you just don't seem like the type to bother with something like that."

You shrug, "Regardless of, I don't really care about what other people think of me. It's annoying to think about." You say, closing your eyes when you feel a breeze. "I don't want to live to meet expectations, that's boring."

Reki hums, taking in your answer as he looks at you. Your eyes are still closed, thankfully, you look at peace, like nothing in this moment could ruin your mood. His lips curve up when you tilt your head further up at the slightest breeze, and he drinks in the way your eyes flutter open slowly, watching the sun cast a soft glow to them.

"You're really pretty."

Your head whips to him at his words, feeling your cheeks warm. "What?" He turns his head away, covering his face with his hands as embarrassment washes over him. You poke his face, "Reki."

"I said you're really pretty." He repeats, uncovering only half of his face. His eyes were set on yours, and you can tell that it's a genuine compliment.

"Thank you," you whisper, avoiding his gaze. "I think you're pretty too."

He turns away from you, face flushed red and cheeks hot to the touch as he covers them with his hands. He murmured a quiet 'thanks' and curses his heart for beating so fast at a compliment he had no trouble giving.

The ringing of the bell makes for an awkward getaway.

a/n: haha

also. sorry if you don't like being called pretty, cute seemed too boring. ethereal/gorgeous was too much. shoutout to all the pretty people (you 🫵)