High School Hierarchy

When you walked into class the next morning, you felt confused by the relief of knowing you'd beaten Reki to school, despite being on the same route and always meeting at the second to last stoplight to school.

Three other people were in the classroom already, the others seemingly wading in the halls until the first bell had rung. You ignored them, but life always seemed to never be on your side when you needed it.

"Hey," you turn your head to the voice, blinking at the boy sitting across from you. "You and Reki, huh?" You furrow your brows in confusion, tilting your head. "The purple farmhouse next to yours, my aunt helps out the old man that runs it. Wanted me to go down there for 'life experience' saw you and Reki getting along pretty well under it." He laughs at his words, seemingly insinuating that you and Reki had done something out in the open.

"Don't be ridiculous."

He nods his head, looking at his friends with a smile. "I'm just glad you two got together is all I'm saying," he grinned, tossing his head back to look at you, "Since no one else would ever date you guys, I mean."

"God, you're an even bigger loser than Reki." He nearly falls out of his chair at your words, unable to retort due to the ringing of the bell and the swarm of students filling the classroom.

But when Reki sits beside you, and you only mutter a quiet good morning, he feels a sense of pride that he got into your head anyways.

——

This time around, Reki catches on quickly to how distant you've become. When you sit with him, you only sit across from him, never beside him. He tries not to let it get to his head and tries harder not to miss how you were pressed against him all those times.

He finds himself standing in front of your house later that night. Just returning from S, he realized how bad of an idea this was. He's sweaty, is that S or nervousness, and he's pretty sure he's covered in dirt.

He sighs when he hears the door unlock and lowers his head when he realizes you answered the door. He sort of wished your grandpa would've.

"Reki." You don't sound surprised, "What are you doing here?"

"I really need to talk to you." Reki lets himself in, apologizing profusely as he practically drags you to your room. "Are you avoiding me?"

"If I were, I wouldn't have opened the door." He lowered his eyes, interested in the fuzzy rug in front of your desk that definitely wasn't there before. "I just needed some space, no project pun intended."

He doesn't mask the laugh that breaks away from him, leaning his head against your shoulder. "Tell me next time, so I know you don't hate me. So I know we're okay and that I didn't do something wrong."

You nod, wrapping your arms around him. "I just– some guy, one of our classmates, I guess, their grandparents or aunt lives next door. They saw us and just kept bothering me the next day."

"What'd they say?" He asks, words muffled in your shoulder. "You can tell me, it's okay."

"That the two losers of the class got together, that we were a perfect match because no one can stand us except for each other." His head lifts from your shoulder at your words, shock and anger coursing through his veins. "Don't do anything. That's how they want you to react."