Grassy Suburbs?

"What do you think about costumes?" Reki asks, skipping a little ways in front of you, walking backward to face you.

You look at Reki as you laugh, a look of disbelief on your face when you notice his serious expression. "That depends on what kind."

"Aliens. Obviously." He snorts, looking at you from the corner of his eye. "It's too much, isn't it?"

"Considering I'm going to be dressed as a mad scientist, no." You say, smiling when he laughs loudly. "You can dress up as one if you want to. It'll really make it."

Reki pokes his cheek with his tongue, jutting it out to lick his lips. "We're seriously going to have the best presentation."

"No doubt." You say, jogging to catch up to him, turning his shoulders to the opposite street. "I live down this street here."

He whistles, "You're a country bumpkin." You'd scoffed at his words, poking his head roughly, making him whine. "What? It's true, obviously."

"I'm not a bumpkin." You started, crossing your arms and moving to walk in front of him. "I'm a produce manager."

He takes a wide stride to match pace with you, looking at you from the corner of his eyes. "So a farmer." Reki deadpans, grinning when you roll your eyes. "I'm just messing with you. Farmers– sorry, produce managers– are cool."

You hum in response, snagging his backpack when he'd walked in front of you when you'd stopped. "We're here."

Reki turns his head, in awe at the row of crops on either side of your house. "How is this even possible? Why do you go to our school? How do you get to our school? Who are you? Wait— isn't this just grassy suburbs?"

You raise a brow at his question, stepping away from him. "Are you an alien?" He rolls his eyes, shoving you toward your house. "Be nice to my grandpa, or I'll kick you to the curb and make you fend for yourself."

He nods diligently, even going as far as to add a salute. Reki walks silently behind you when you open the door, lowering his head in a bow when your grandpa greets him.

"Bernie and I are heading to bowl." Your grandpa says, grabbing the small duffel on the counter. "Sandwiches are in the fridge, mayo and no mayo, may have eaten half of one."

You gape at him, watching him walk towards the back door. "Hey, hey! Is it Bernice or Bernard?"

He smiles, gummy, crooked, and full of mischief. "Bernie." He keeps eye contact as he steps out of the house, even when he backs out of the garage.

Reki turns slowly toward you, whistling quietly. "He seems fun." You nod, walking over to the fridge. "Just you two?"

The fridge closes shut with a thud when you look at him, and he fears he might've said the wrong thing. "Yeah." You don't elaborate further, and Reki doesn't push.

"Let's go."

a/n: the house location is probably confusing considering in the last chapter tbe walked down the road and it was the bridge where reki tried (and failed) to touch the star

I thought if a scene though, where y/n is doing farm work and reki goes to them. I won't say too much but it's a dialogue heavy argument.

I'm going to sleep now