|Prologue|

|YOU|

I knew of him. Actually, I knew a lot about him. He was somewhat of a legend in the Land of Fire, known for his strength and for his long list of copied jutsu. He was Kakashi Hatake—Copy Ninja of the Hidden Leaf,— and he was my brothers sensei.

I had stumbled across the two of them along with the other members of my brothers team. A happy coincidence for me. If I hadn't met them like this, it was likely I never would have.

"Who're you?" The boy with spiked, yellow hair asked.

"She's no—" Sasuke didn't get to finish because I squeezed his shoulder.

"I'm Sasuke's sister. It's nice to meet all of you."

The two kids glanced at one another with confused expressions. I couldn't blame them. It was a look I had grown to expect.

"How's that possible?" The young girl asked.

Sasuke pulled away from me. "She's adopted. She's technically not my sister."

Not breaking my smile, I reached up and tugged the hair on the back of Sasuke's head. His neck bent back unexpectedly, but he recovered quickly and shot me a glare.

"Adopted or not, I'm still his family. So it's nice to finally meet his team," I said, and there was an awkward silence that followed.

"Well—" I clapped my hands, "—I don't want to keep you from your missions. I'll see you later, Sasuke," I said, ruffling his hair. Then I held out my hand to his sensei. "And it was nice meeting you, Kakashi."

He took it tentatively, but didn't speak a word.

• • •

My mouth watered at the sight in front of me. As was my post-mission tradition, plates full of meat sat around the grill in the centre of my table, waiting to be devoured.

I placed thick slabs of beef over the glowing coals, along with a few vegetables, and was about to stuff my mouth when someone slid into the seat across from me. Glancing up, I was met with a singular onyx eye.

"I went my whole life without meeting you. Now I get the honour twice in one day. Lucky me," I said.

Kakashi placed his elbow on the table and rested his chin lazily in his palm. He didn't seem to care for the food between us.

"I didn't expect to see you either," he replied. "Yet, here we are."

Here we were indeed. I took my meat off the grill and placed it on a plate before devouring it. I had come to enjoy myself, he wasn't going to stop me from doing that.

"Shouldn't you be with your students?" I asked him.

He shrugged. "The three of them can handle carrying groceries for old ladies without my help."

He continued to watch me and it was beginning to make me uneasy. Which made it hard to enjoy my meal.

"Is there something I can help you with?" I finally asked.

Kakashi leaned back. "Since you asked, I was hoping to get some insight into the life of one of my students."

He obviously meant Sasuke. "What do you want to know?"

"More about his home life. It'll give me an idea of what I'm walking into."

I smirked and laid my chopsticks on the table. "He hasn't lived an easy life. You could ask anyone why and they'd know the answer, but despite the massacre he has always had me there for support."

Kakashi nodded along as I spoke, and didn't ask any further questions leading me to believe what I said was enough.

"Since you're here, would you like to join me?" I asked, gesturing to the table. Though it was a genuine offer, I also had an ulterior motive. If he ate half, he had to pay for half.