1.3: The Mark of Nimueh part 3

I went directly to bed yesterday, briefly explaining the situation, go up to the room where now both Merlin and I will be sleeping. As soon as my head touch the pillow, I was already asleep.

But this morning I wake up extra early so why not try to go back to the lower town, the guards will be too tired from the night of patrolling to see anything, I just need to be a little discrete.

I tiptoed from the end of the stair of our room to the principal door, I didn't have to worry about Merlin waking up, this boy could sleep through anything without budging. However, for Gaius this was something else the mere sound of a fly could wake him up, so I needed to be extremely careful. I turned my back to the door as I opened it to be sure Gaius wasn't waking up, and closed it the quieter possible. When the door closed, I could finally sigh.

« Going somewhere? » A voice said calmly behind me

« Leon ! Don't scare me like that! » I exclaimed silently to the man who was leaned against the wall . « What are you even doing here ? » I asked.

« Do you really think Arthur wouldn't think that you would try to sneak out? I have to say, I was surprised to how he didn't underestimate you and your stubbornness. He asked me to keep an eye on you and to follow you everywhere. » He explained

« Oh, so you're what?... my nanny now ? » I said rising my eyebrows

« Don't take it like this, see this as an opportunity to hang out with your big brother » he said with a shitting grin. « Now, where to Mi Lady? » He continued putting his arm around my shoulder as we were going down the stair to access the courtyard.

« I need to go to the lower town »

« I'm sorry, but that won't be possible, and you know it, I'm already on thin ice with Arthur for some unknown reasons. »

« But Leon Lydi- »

« Lydia is fine Y/N, okay, she said she understands the situation, she knows that she can do anything about it and that you are responsible for none of this. And I agree with Arthur you can't go back there look at this» he pointed to the numerous corpse that were all assemble in the courtyard « If maybe we lock down the lower town the sickness will slow, and we can find a cure without the risk of dying before finding it ».

I only nod in response, he was right, how can we found a remedy if we're dead.

« Let's take a walk, and maybe you could pass the day with Lady Morgana and Gwen today? To change your mind ».

« Yeah, that would be great not being circled by men for at least a day » .

≪ ◦ ❖ ◦ ≫

« What's different about this victim ? » Gaius asked, pointing to the new body on the table.

« Um, she's a woman. » He replied

« Sometimes I do wonder whether your magical talents were given to the right person. Anything else? » Gaius said 

« Um... she's a courtier? » Merlin tried again

« Ah »

« But how does that help us? » Merlin asked

« Courtier seldom go down to the lower town. So what does that mean? » 

« Um... That she hasn't spoken to any townspeople. »