Chapter 30: So Close, So Much to Say

Kirsa left into the night. With only a short goodbye. Her family too. I didn't get to say goodbye to them. I was already home as she packed up and left. 

All the others in our home were gone too. Hunter had sent them away to another house he apparently had built unbeknownst to me. Intentionally now leaving just us two here alone together. I think, this was so he could be more honest with me. Tell me more hopefully, and maybe give me a bit extra freedom from the restricting eyes and rules of the others. 

This was a relief to me, but as I stared in my room, looking at one of the blank walls, I couldn't help by feel that creeping feeling. That tingle down my back. Whatever he was going to tell me, I knew I wasn't going to like it. Nothing is worse to me than knowing the bad feeling I've felt about myself all this time, about being a monster. Was possibly a universal truth among my kind. Whatever bad secret thing that was being planned, would just set it in stone. 

All of my work in the city, to try to be something at least a little better, was in vain. 

"Fuck." I cussed out. Trying not to cry or let my fears overtake me more. 

Yet Hunter couldn't be so bad, right? He's like me, I can see it in his eyes. When he's not hiding under that cold front, the same guy who used to protect me when we were kids was still there. The same guy who holds my hand when we drive together, he's there. Maybe I'm just being dramatic now. Maybe this bad thing isn't as bad, and all Lycaetos are just ridiculously secretive.

Then why did Kirsa have to leave? Why did they try to kill us? 

"Damn." I curse out some more. 

Well I'll get to know soon. Hunter wanted to talk as soon as he got back from his drive. Making me wait here like some helpless damsel. Whatever. Yeah I'm being dramatic. 

I try to relax. It's then I hear the car outside, going into park mode. Immediately my  heart shoots back into my chest. I get up and leave the room, running downstairs to get the door. 

Before I could even reach the door Hunter slams it open, cracking the freshly fixed wall behind it. I stop any and all movement. 

"Fuck." He whispers under his breath. 

My eyes widen, I step back. Unsure of how to react. Unlike me, it's rare that he cusses. Hunter looks my way, shooting me a deathly look, before releasing a deep sigh.

"Ara go to the living room, I'll meet you there." He commands. 

Part of me hesitates. These past few days have been more than stressful enough, but he seemed to be handling it all pretty well up until this point. Much better than I have, at least that is what I thought. I shook my head, and then turned for the living room. There was probably something new related to the drive that pushed him over. Still now I was feeling on edge too. 

My steps were quick as I made my way there. I can hear his shoes hit the floor as he tosses them off, before following behind me. I sit down on the far end of the couch. We make brief eye contact before Hunter sits right next to me on the couch. He mutters something that I can't really comprehend  before placing one arm around my shoulders and bringing me slightly closer to him. 

"Are you okay?" I ask. Stiffening up. 

He speaks coldly back, "Calming down." With his other hand he starts loosening his tie. It was then I really noticed how overdressed he looked today. Was it a formal place? 

I push myself a little further into him. 

I grumble, "Calm down quicker."

He just nods. 

We sit like that for a few moments. I try my best not to think too much about the immediate conversation to be had or Hunter's current more threatening state. Yet even without thinking it felt like bubbles exploding in my stomach with each moment gone by. The warmth of his arm made me feel even hotter than I already was beginning to feel as I tried to calm myself down as well.