Chapter 14: Binding of Isaac

"Wha-"

"Kirsa what brings you two here?" Practically ignoring me Rabbi Mik looks strict at her. Kirsa's cheeks turn a rough shade of red I hadn't seen on her before. Her eyes gazing away into the distance, fixating on a book of archaeology she couldn't have had an interest in. I almost snorted aloud at the suspicious behavior. 

Still ignoring me, Mik spoke again, "Does she need information?"

"Sort of." Kirsa choked out. 

I grimaced, then tugged at Mik's sleeve. Attempting to get her attention. She still focused on Kirsa.

Giving up, I just let the question fall from my lips, "What do you know?"

"Everything." The Rabbi mumbled. Looking at Kirsa with what seemed like expectation. Kirsa stepped back. 

Something came over me and my thoughts came out before I could hold them back.

"My ass." I accidentally admitted. Mik finally turned to me to wink. Our eyes locked. A look of surprise overtook her face just as it did mine. Like she recognized me.

She offers, "I can help you-", but again my true thoughts sneak out against my will. My irritation and fear. 

"What the hell am I?!" I blurt out. Why did I just yell at a complete stranger?

Kirsa doesn't even flinch. Still silent and a few steps away from us both. Though I can't help but notice a small bead of sweat trailing down her neck through the crevices of her lace.

After this takes my attention I randomly seem to gain control back of myself.

Able to revert back to a more polite tone as I further divulge, "If you know everything..." Crap that came off a lot more pompous than I had intended. 

Mik touches my arm for just a second, then her hand just drops. That familiar downtrodden look masks her face once more. She navigates us both to a sitting area and then disappears for a moment. Returning with chocolates and steaming hot tea. The smell is so strong it permeates my nostrils from here. Rose and lavender. As she places the chocolates and tea down she begins to speak.

"Long ago there was an ocean and sky much hotter than this. Not here or there, but close enough we could reach it if we tried, but really can't. More dangerous, but also more beautiful. Like the moon itself coming at you. It brought lives together, two who bonded that never could have and became something that was feared, long  ago, something now misunderstood. Something that may one day destroy more than could be imagined." Mik paused and glanced up at a heavily ripped picture hanging highest on the wall in front of us and behind her. Of a woman with a face filled with sorrow like her, but not her exactly. Maybe a relative of sorts? 

Then she looked back at us and whispered, "or rebuild too." Her eyes drifted off again toward something behind us. I turned around and looked as well. A portrait of just old paper and foreign words, blood splattered across them. Probably meaningful if we could read it. Honestly I wasn't even sure if the Rabbi could. Yet staring off at it triggered another ramble from Mik. 

She spoke faster now, but with a hint of humor, "Now the first thing you Lycaetos usually ask me is what's a jew doing helping magical creatures, and getting exiled herself, from her own people?" A small smile flashed on her lips, she continued, "Then I usually say something along the lines of well if you know anything about us middle eastern people is that we are always supposed to be there for people, like us or not." After saying this she got up and headed toward an old case, shoving it open and speaking some more, "Though I'll give you a little extra piece to this story since you don't seem to mind listening more than most." Suddenly some of her hair fell from out of her covering, like shimmering golden wheat in the light. It did nothing to distract her from the rummaging at hand.

She rambled on, "Really... I was never given a choice. All of my actions have forced me here to do this... I didn't used to know that, really just felt like I couldn't fit in with anyone because of who I was and what I knew, but over time and over much heartache it became clear as my truth." Suddenly she pulled out a book, then began to step back toward us, speaking some more,  "I hope you're able to see this too, but not how I had to. Choose to and save yourself the trouble..." 

The Rabbi went straight to me and pressed the book right into my hand. It was older, damaged, and the title was clear as day. 

The Story of Kyns

As I traced my fingers over it, Mik let a small smile escape once more. Then she whispered in my ear. 

"You're in here."

I took it and a chocolate. Then we left. With extra tea in clay cups still hot as we walked out the door. The book carefully tucked away in my hoodie. 

To read tonight.