Chapter 4: Glass Slipper

My body felt hot and heavy, like steam was being blown at me in a closed room, with no window to escape. It just kept getting warmer and warmer. Almost like I was being crushed by a hot pan. The warmth overwhelmed. I shot up awake. 

Yet instead of rising fully, my head slammed hard into something else. I cringe my teeth, holding in the pain and look up only to see Hunter plopping back down onto my bed, his hand lightly touching his chest. I want to ask him what he's doing in my room, on my bed, and why was he on top of me, but before I can he answers.

"There was a spider on you." His words came out rather emotionless. Like a scientist observing a subject. Weirdly, as his gaze pierces into my own, he seems to not look in any direction for this spider. I didn't really bother to look for it either though, but I am weird. Unlike a lot of people, I'm not really afraid of spiders or insects in general. I've even been bitten by a child of the earth bug, I think they're also called Jerusalem crickets, and that didn't scare me. Though it did hurt like a bitch. Normally other creatures can't pierce my flesh easily, but they could, I guess they might be a type of kryptonite?

Back to the subject at hand. 

Or should I say creeper? 

I shoot back, "Where?" Emphasizing my "r" as I do so. I should probably find it and let it go outside. Hunter smiles at me. A glare skimming his features. That's more like the Hunter I know... 

"I ate it." Or not. I can't believe he said that with a straight face. 

"That's really weird Hunter." I can see his hands grip tight together. Forming obvious fists. I suck in some air. Forcing my eyes not to shut as I take on his scowl. I didn't want him to see how nervous I was about my words. Suddenly the smell of blood fills my nostrils. My leg must still be healing. While still locking my gaze onto his, I discreetly try to cover myself better, hoping the smell isn't strong enough for human senses. I doubt it would be, but one could never be too sure. The rusty scent was burning my nose, personally. 

Through gritted teeth, Hunter comments, "So is stealing my shirt." My face gets super hot. Burning level warmth, just like what I had felt before I woke up. I can't hide the nervousness on my face anymore. I bit down on my lip in restraint and immediately look down. 

The colors of black and red cover my shoulders and chest. Indeed I am wearing his shirt. I don't have anything this color red in my own clothes. It's too bold for my tastes. I must have accidently took his shirt last night when I was in the laundry room searching for clothes after ruining my own when I crashed into my room. You'd think being part wolf I'd have some type of excellent nocturnal vision, but if I do it mustn't be that good cause 80% of the time I'm relying on smell. How come I didn't smell his scent on the shirt before I put it on? Maybe my senses was flooded from all the dirt and blood of my own clothes. My blood has a really strange earthiness to the smell that coincides with the strong rust odor. I don't bleed often so it was kind of a new discovery for me. 

Lost in thought, I nearly jumped when I felt his fingers shove against my shoulder to garner my attention. I turn back to looking at him. Honestly feeling a little defeated. He gets off the bed and crosses his arms. His fingers tapping against his shoulder in irritation. I await his angered demand. 

"It smells like you now. Keep it." I sigh and nod my head in agreement. At least he didn't notice the disarray of my ro-

"No wonder you have spiders! Clean this mess, then the garage floor when your done." He walks out slamming the door. I pull up the covers a little more, covering my face but not my gaze. My eyes glued on the door. As if it's the door's fault my day got to start so terribly. I replay his words over and over in my head. Finally my own response makes its way to my lips. Far too late, but still with the snark I wish I had the courage to state. 

"Just charming."

I swear I'm stuck in some trippy alternate Cinderella story. Using my super speed and some of my wing power to clean the room, partially shifting, I'm done in a few seconds. My wings fill my view with the pretty grey and brown feathers attached to them. They're nearly twice my length in span, each. The design of them reminded me of an eagle or a hawk. Even with the same long exaggerated movement whenever I used them. I pull them together to hide my face as a small smirk overcomes me. My elongated canines stick out with the gesture and my wolf ears twitch.

At least I'm a little more cool. 

A/N: Children of the earth bugs, or babies in the sand, is this really giant ant looking thing, don't look it up, they're scary as heck. They're also aggressive, so if you see this giant ant looking thing under some loose sand, avoid it! Anywhos, enjoy the chapter :)