Chapter 22: Along for the Ride

Hunter gave a nod as he suddenly grabbed my hand and pulled us to the store. Walking speedily in the direction of the store before making a sudden quick turn to our left. We continue walking further through the mall. I let a low breath escape and try to pull my hand out of his to no avail. 

"Your face gives you away." Hunter joked again, but this time his tone more dry. 

I just relaxed further into his grip, squeezing his hand back before pulling us into another direction. Next thing I know we're in some random store. It's got all kinds of shoes from heels to boots. I navigate toward the boots; eyeing a pair that zip up and look to have an outer pocket that also zips. It didn't fit with anything I wear to college or anything I'm expected to wear at home, but I liked them nonetheless. I dare not lift or touch the shoe in anyway to give away my desire for them. 

I could already imagine Hunter's scoff. 

Yet, next thing I know he's grabbing a pair in my size and is dragging us to a spot where I can try them on. 

I don't fight it, and just sit down grabbing the box to pull out the shoes and try them on. As I do so I glance up and can see his face is calm and casual. Though he notices my gaze and replies with a hint of pushiness. 

"You want them right?"

I look back down as I finish zipping them up. Holding back an snarky comments I want to say. 

Finally the scoff I expected comes. His foot tapping once against the floor in irritation. 

I can't hold it in. 

I laugh. 

"Hah. So you like my attitude as much as I like yours Ara?"

I roll my eyes now too. 

"I'm just happy you're buying me these shoes." 

As I say this, I lift them up to give them a good look. My face turned away hiding the red on my cheeks. I plop my feet back down and practice walking in them. They're stiff but I just like them all the more. Hunter stays still though I can feel his gaze on me. 

"What if I told you I was just messing with you?" He states, back with his strict voice. 

I sit down and take them off. 

"I wouldn't care too much." 

"You don't care for being happy?"

Happiness isn't everything

"I just don't need them, even if I want them."

"It's nice to get what you want though." Hunter states, grabbing the box. As soon as I put my old shoes back on he pulls us back along. Going to the checkout to buy them. 

We head out back into the mall. I take the bag so he doesn't try to hold it for me. Feeling a bit embarrassingly pleased about the gift. Remembering some of the comments he made earlier. Only after a moment realizing that I was now pulling him along while holding his hand even tighter than he held mine. 

I looked back at him and his lips where moving. Like he was trying to say something. Though as soon as our eyes met he scowled. A deep set glare that caused me to instantly release my hold and drop the bag holding the shoes. Before I can grab it back, he steps in front of me and grabs it then takes my hand again, but now walking ahead. 

I struggle to keep up without being dragged. 

Hunter grumbles, "You're afraid of me."

I sigh, a little nervous at his sudden dark tone. 

"What did you expect?" I admit. 

He doesn't slow his pace and his grip gets tighter. Walking us to I don't know where, but it's to the less crowded area of the mall. His words come out stiff and irritated once more. 

"If you knew more, this fear would comfort you instead of keeping you away." Finally I manage to match his pace, but then he stops. Which would have swung me forward if I didn't jerk his arm toward my chest to keep me from tripping. This time I can't hide the warmth on my cheeks nor the grit of my teeth. 

If he knew more... he'd know it was already true. That stupid comfort around him. It was getting worse with each day. No matter how much scarier he seemed to be getting, something maybe even worse than me, but still leaving me warm in his presence. That I'd never admit.

Instead I spit, "I doubt it. Fear is fear Hunter."

I push him away but he still holds my hand. In a looser hold than it's been this entire day. We're in front of some restaurant. 

We look into eachothers' eyes as he nods toward the door. 

"I wouldn't know." He says. 

At that I force our hands apart. Pulling mine close back to my chest. Another glare covers his features. I step back. 

"I know you fear losing me, so stop trying to be all tough." I look away as the words escape me. Afraid of what'll happen next, but tired of talking about all this like I'm the only problem. I know my part, but he damn well knows his. 

Suddenly I feel him grab my face. He's right in front of me, leaving no space between us. My mouth drops for a second, nervous once more. 

Hunter winks. A big smile on his face. 

"You first." He states. Wrapping his arm around my shoulders before bringing us into the restaurant. 

We have the most awkward meal of my life, though surprisingly nice nonetheless. 

As we headed home, I rested again. Dreaming of him and that smile. 

Almost forgetting everything else.