Chapter 9: Here for You

"Hunter... Hunter!" 

High pitched whispers escape me. My feet tapping the window as softly as I can. Being in human form with the girl in my arms, I realize she's a lot bigger than I thought. Not heavy, just oversized compared to me. It was making it a struggle not to drop her in the two armed position I held her. I should have thrown her over my shoulder like I'd done in my other form. 

This increased my desperation as I hit the window once more, loud enough now that if he didn't wake I'd have to assume he was dead. I just hoped no one else would awaken from the sound. 

"Why is there a small person in your arms?" 

My eyes shoot up and to my left. Hunter is outside beside me, having spoken in the most nonchalant matter I have ever heard from him. So casual the sarcasm tainting my thoughts almost released until I clenched my mouth shut. 

Once again the essential oils he uses clog my senses just a little, but not as much as the distinct smell of blood. I thought I'd removed as much blood as I could off of the girl, but it seems I'd failed. Being around the body had made it hard to tell I guess. I'm about to speak but he interrupts me before the words can leave my lips. 

"She smells strange." Crap. He smells the blood too. I really did a terrible job. Quickly I think of an excuse. 

"I found her in a garbage can, near the butchers! Yeah." 

"In the city that you never go to?" I inwardly cringe. I had told myself the punishment was worth it, but right now I wish it wasn't. Finally I admit the truth. 

"Yes." 

Hunter just stares at me. A blank stern expression. I can almost feel the wheels in his mind turning on the level of trouble I was in. For a moment, a sharp glare covered his features, then he spoke. 

"What do you need me to do."

A sigh of relief escapes me. For a moment my eyes land on the stubble on his chin that was already forming. Just hours ago his face was clean shaven. A few hours later and it would be again. For now, it just emphasized the distant reflection in his eyes. After a second the words finally formed for my thoughts on what I needed.

"This girl needs help," I look down at her and then to him, "Please." I feel so terrible. This girl will be scarred for life. I know it. I've been there. 

Hunter gives me a soft smile. The same smile he used to show quite often when we were younger, before. His lips curved up in the gentlest of ways. I hadn't realized until this moment how much I missed it. An uncomfortable warmth filled my chest. 

Quickly I pushed it away.

It was embarrassing. To have such feelings. Selfish to let them show. 

Especially when I knew his were there as well. Before they were stronger than my own. Now I couldn't tell. Though I was sure they still existed, painfully taking on my reflection with each glare he threw at me. 

There were many reasons they didn't progress back then.

First, his future was too busy being lined with success and growing responsibilities, as mine continued to just fall through the cracks. Second, I was still trying to understand what I was. Third, his family wouldn't even look at me then. Last, I feared with added closeness he may find out my secret. 

You know, the not human one?

So I had tried my best to ignore those feelings over the years. Acting oblivious to the subtle hints. Treating him like the friend I could handle. For a while, it worked out. Yet, like a true gentleman, he eventually returned the gesture.