Chapter 15: Omen

As the night tried to overtake me with slumber I could hear whispers in my ear. A soft but sure voice. Gentle and reassuring.

"You're not a monster, never were."

It's too real. My eyes burst open. There she is, next to me. Sitting at my side with her head tilted just barely over me, looking at the book still in my hands. Her long braided plain hair tickling against my folded arm. I couldn't stop staring, it was as if she glowed. The crown atop her head glowing the most. Was she dead?

Even her breath I could see. 

Suddenly a brightness flickered against my vision. Shocking my sight in the dark room. It was a thin necklace with a small vial pendant that shimmered between us, which caused the moment to be lost. Then another one as she already began to disappear into the background. Disintegrating like glowing black dust into the night. 

I finally removed my grip from the book to grab for her but it was too late. 

She was gone. 

After a moment I sat up from my bed, bringing the book in tow. Opening it again and looking down at the half faded words. As if they were disappearing too. I couldn't help but shake my head. 

What a waste. 

"A damn children's book." I mumbled. Tossing it across the room. 

"What a load of bull." I continued. Small beads of sweat dripping from my forehead as I slid my legs out from under the blankets and got up. Too lazy to turn on the lights and too lazy for much else I bent down quick to grab a pair of pants, still mumbling. 

"That stupid Rabbi, this time she better give me something good..." 

With my pants on I turned around to throw the covers back in place. More aggressive than just a moment ago. Really I shoved them back in place. Using enough force parts of the blanket bounced up like little waves. 

Clang.

The noise was subtle and soft but I couldn't miss it. I immediately glanced down at the source. It had bounced against the metal railing of my bed frame and managed to land at my feet. A slight coldness from it. 

The vial necklace. Shimmering just it had done before. Distracting my view. I crouched down to pick it up. It was light. Empty. 

Useless too. 

Doesn't mean I couldn't wear it right? 

As gentle as I could I put the necklace on, then tucked the vial under my shirt. It wasn't but another passing of time before I was out again. Ready to sneak back to there. The Rabbi's house. This time I didn't want Kirsa with me. Not because I was hiding something from her, but because I am quite sure she is hiding something from me, and that Rabbi knows what it is. I don't want to bring her along and put any pressure. 

I'll knock on that door when Kirsa's ready. Onto the rest of this night for me. All ready rushing past the trees. I bet that Rabbi will be surprised to see me again so soon. 

If I could smile in my shifted form, I would. 

A/N: Yay we're at chapter 15 with more to come! Thank you guys for reading up to this point and feel free to comment if you want! :D