Chapter 13: Lady of the Moon

We met at the center of the city. She took her driver and I  ran partially shifted  with a rather large hoodie to cover me. Once I got there I shifted fully human again. Though upon seeing her step out of the car it became quite obvious she mistook my request. Dressed to kill was an understatement. Unaffected by the dry cool night her legs were fully exposed in the short dress with lace intricately intertwined around and over her breasts and neck. There was an intentionally ripped appearance to the hem which turned it from upper class to way out of your league "let's club" type of style.

I would have chuckled but her obvious disdain with my very heather gray and very unfun ensemble made me a bit nervous to. 

"That's Hunter's isn't it." 

"Yep." I shoot her an overly perky grin. Kirsa roles her eyes before shooting me a warning look.

"Just don't forget to take it off this time...." 

I shake my head violently yes. Memories fresh against the back of my mind on how vital that step would be. Only reason I even stole it this time was to hide the ears, tail, and wings which would have been visible while I ran at an unnatural speed if the hoodie wasn't so huge. With that movement my hood fell back just enough to show more of my features and my hair. Kirsa took advantage of this and patted the top of my head before nodding in a general direction for us to walk. As she did this she also waved her hand out at her driver who then quickly sped away, giving us some privacy. Completely out of sight, Kirsa got straight to the point. 

"What are we doing Ara?"

"Don't know yet, " I sighed, "looking for something we shouldn't I guess?"

Kira sighed back, but with less exaperation and more of a gentle release of air. As if she got it. The feeling of it all. 

Still she questioned, "Looking for what?" 

I didn't want to say. So I just raised my shoulders than let them drop. We kept walking.

The smell of blood and old building material flooded my nostrils. Indicating we were going down the more hood part of the city. I didn't bother to offer Kirsa my hoodie, although she was well off, she gave off a much more street type of vibe which resonated well in this neighborhood. 

A group of girls walked by us, each with visible switchblades or guns, and we nodded toward them, then they nodded toward us. All was good. 

See? We connect. 

There were a lot of older plain buildings and a few liquor stores with lights on leading the way for us. That is until we almost passed a plain larger white block of a house. It literally looked like a 2 story cube. Maybe two windows, an older blue light shimmering at the entrance of the door and a tall metal fence surrounding the well used worn down stone walkway which lead to it. The door to the fence was closed but not locked and the word "Shalom" was carved into a piece of jagged wood which hung above it. Inside I could hear singing in a foreign language. Deep mourning type of singing. Almost like what one would sing if they were lost and given up or comforting another over a person who a died. It was uncomfortable, but a drew me to it. Enchanted me to open the first gate and step with a hesitant pace to the door. 

Kirsa followed me, but as we walked I quickly asked a person going past what this house was. An older lady. 

She answered, "Ah that's Rabbi Mikha'el's synagogue. She welcomes all, Jewish or not. If you need a safe place to sleep tonight, she keeps a couple small houses in the back... If you're looking for trouble, I suggest heading back." Then the old lady walked off. Somewhat slower though, waiting to see what we would do. 

As I reached the light, it flickered and the singing stopped. I didn't even need to knock on the door. This Rabbi quickly opened it, letting it hit the wall as she beckoned us in.  The shimmering of metal against the door attempted to distract me but nothing could from the mesmerizing woman before my eyes. Motherly looking, a little bit of golden hair glowed against the light complementing the red and orange scarf which covered the rest of her hair and ears. That was all I could see at first because she was quite a bit shorter than I, even if she probably older. Slowly my gaze teetered down to looking at her face to face. 

As she smiled her faded light blue eyes twinkled a little and her pale skin took on a hint of pink. Yet still, I could feel a sadness. Maybe it was the slowness of her movements as we stepped inside and she closed the door, or it was the way she barely looked at us as we walked behind her, unsure of what was even going on. What I was doing coming here. 

That didn't bother her. 

She introduced herself, bringing us straight to a living room that was four times the size of my room and filled with books, seating areas, and blankets.

"I'm Rabbi Mikha'el, but most just call me Rabbi or Mik for short. What brings you hear so late Ara?"

"You know my name?" I stared, astonished.

Mik smiled again, then answered.

 "Of course, I know all of your names."