Chapter 24: Destiny is Like a Wave

It really does show in the light. So obvious I don't think I'll be able to wear a low cut shirt again. Even when I shift into my winged wolf form its there, only hidden when the light is gone. Currently I am in that shifted form, staring intensely at my reflection.

My claws extended because of the stress overwhelming me from the sight. They shimmer too, like rainbows. 

With the grey almost silver bouncing off my fur, I almost look kind of ancient. Like something from a mythology book. My lip raises up in a snarl as my ears fall back.  A blink and I've shifted human again. I slap my hands against my face as a low groan emits. 

"Damn I'm an idiot. It wasn't supposed to be like this."

Creak!

"What was?" Hunter's voice echoes against the small walls. 

I turn to my right, straightening myself up. Good thing I threw on a sweater before shifting. 

His eyes were focused on my chest though. I immediately grabbed at the fabric in front to confirm it was still there. It was. 

"What was?" He repeats. Folding his arms. Gaze still solely in the direction of my breasts. 

Maybe he's just being a perv.

"Stop doing that." I complain. 

"What?" He asks, but now he has one hand behind his head and another rested on his hip. His eyes wider now. 

I sneak a peek at the mirror for a split second and indeed its not visible. There's no way he can see it. 

I finally point directly where his eyes are fixated. 

"My che-"

"You have a loose string there." He retorts before I can finish. Then before I can look to fix it he comes within centimeters of me, his hand grabbing at the shirt. I push his hand away and step back. 

I almost yell, "Whoa! I get it we had a good time and all but-"

Suddenly a smile graces his lips. It's elegant and soft looking, bringing out the dimples I didn't know he had.  

He whispers, "A good time?" Then shoots a glare my way as the smile disappears. So quick I thought I might have imagined the whole thing. 

He's frowning, stepping back toward me with one hand firm on my shoulder. The other in his pocket. I stiffen but remain still. 

"So, what's up?" I ask. A little nervous at the sudden change in his demeanor. 

"Ara." His voice is breathy, but with a hint of that usual ordering tone of his. 

I nod. Completely forgetting just moments ago, or really just wishing I could. Yet that split second smile repeated over and over in my head. 

"From now on we'll be doing additional training, at night in the forest." 

I nod again, mumbling, "Okay." 

"Between us." He commands. Again close to my face, almost touching my lips. My eyes close a little longer than they should in that moment, still thinking of those dimples. Yet as soon as they open to his steely gaze it's like a storm in my chest. 

He's trying to help me, isn't he?

I grab the hand on my shoulder. Rubbing against the top of his hand with my thumb. Showing my appreciation that I was too embarrassed to say. My cheeks felt warm and I could feel a sting in my throat. My eyes feeling wet. 

Has that been his intent all along? Going against his parents and becoming who he is now?  The strictness? 

Why have I always thought the worst of him? 

He moves his hand, our hands, up to my face. I blink away tears. 

He's changed, but inside maybe he's the same. Maybe we're the same. 

I let go and push his hand away, looking down. More thoughts fill me like a crashing wave. I take a deep sigh. 

"Yes." I whisper. 

"Sorry." He whispers back. Walking out of the room, gently closing the door shut. 

I can feel weakness overtake me as I partially shift. 

Are we both just having to do terrible things, for a better end? 

Practicing fighting for what? For an end. 

The things Mik has been warning me about, Todd hinted about, it's all connected. I just can't shake the feeling. 

Between Hunter and I.