Chapter 10: Decisions

I stood at the corner of the stairs, hiding against the wall behind the railing. My eyes glued to the painting in front of the stairs. The one the quads drew together ages ago. A red and orange backdrop of the sky to a floating image of a brown feather. An eagle's probably. Although you could see no faces in the image the emotions were clear. They were of anger and sorrow. 

Just like how I felt now.

Like a rat sneaking around, I quietly listened to everything they said. 

"Eva had been missing for months!"

"We feared the worst!"

"I can't believe it, she's alive!"

In addition to the words spoken aloud by Eva's parents, her cries filled the house. Loud sobs at a pitch only a child could make. Ever since she had awoken she was like that. Devastated and wallowing in her pain.

I can take fifty punches to the gut yet I couldn't come down even a few seconds for this. For her. I'm part of her pain. 

I suddenly hear whispers from the mother. Reassurances that Eva would be alright. She was trying to soothe her as best she could. Though Eva's mother could never know what it feels like to see what she has seen. Felt the fear Eva most likely felt. Like your drowning in a sea of confusion and terror.

Hunter's words now echo in my ears. 

"I hope she is able to get help for whatever your daughter may have gone through or seen."

Submerging me back into the conversation. He speaks more.

"Here's my card, show this at any of the psych clinics in the hills district and they'll give your daughter assistance free of charge."

A male voice answers, Eva's dad, with a raised tone and exasperation in his breathing.

"Thank you, Mr.?" 

"Please just call me Hunter." 

Eva's mom pipes in, "Well thank you Hunter!" 

"It's the least I could do." Hunter's voice sounded calm. Reassuring. He was far more supportive than I. It just made my shame worse. Adding to it, he spoke once more. 

"If you ever need anything else for Eva, just call the number there." I hear the light tap of his finger against the paper of his card. It was a light sound, but at this point I'm listening so intently I could even hear the shaky breath of Eva's mother. Sounding like she was about to burst, just like her daughter. 

My chest started to sting at the thought. In response I turned slight, my gazing leaving the picture, to look past the corner at them directly. They're all at the bottom of the stairs near the door which is left wide open. The trees can be seen outside. Hunter is by the wall of the stairs while Eva's father stands before him. Eva is facing her mother while her mother is across from her, barely holding herself up. Her hand braces against the edge of the tan doorframe.

My suspicion was correct. Eva's mother already had tears streaming down her face. Eva was staring at the floor still crying, though the sounds of her sobs have turned to mix between the cracking of her voice and low wallowing. Eva's mother just stared at her, crying out in a sudden outburst as she did so.

"It hurt so much losing her! It was all my fault, I caused this and now a stranger is cleaning my sins!" 

The husband, Eva's father, turns to her. His hair is disheveled and his light eyes almost shimmer. He reaches out to her with a gentle hand. Responding with a slight cracking in his voice. Hiding pain as well. 

"No, no Hunny. It's not your fault. We're all just doing what we can. Our daughter is back. That's what matters! We'll help her now with everything we've got!"

Everything we've got

Something in me clicked. My chest felt hot. The stinging dropped straight to my stomach. All the shame and pity that was welled up tight together shifted and changed into something new.

Action. 

I knew what I needed to do. I needed to help her.  I turn from the corner and rush to my room. I had already left the door open which saved me time as I moved quickly to my bed. I shove my hand under my pillow and search for it. Searching for the cold smooth stone. After a second my fingers graze against it and I snatch it. Spinning back around and running from the small hall to down the steps as fast as I can. 

I don't stop until I'm in front of Eva. Both the parents eyes fall on me, I nod at them. Then I drop low to the ground, until I'm crouched down in front of Eva. My eyes focused on hers. She suddenly breaks contact with the floor and turns her gaze to me. Her expression is so downcast. Her body is shaking from crying so much. I speak as soft as I can. 

"Hi, I'm... Ara. I-I found you. I thought you could use this." As I say this, I move to her hand and place the stone in her palm. Closing her fingers around it so that the stone won't slip out. I keep talking, not feeling nearly as confident now that I was down here actually doing this.

My words come out faster.

"Whenever you feel scared just rub this stone. It'll help you push through and be brave. Okay?" 

Still having tears in her eyes, Eva nods her head slowly. Immediately she starts rubbing the stone. 

"Okay." 

At her answer I try to smile. Suddenly she hugs me. Holding me with a grip so tight she was squeezing my neck. It didn't hurt, but the stinging in my stomach turned to a sharp ache as the guilt touched me again. Guilt which increased as her parents gazed at me. Holding eachother with a similar desperation. I didn't have it in me to hug her back, but my hand pressed against her shoulder across in a similar way as a hug. I just patted lightly like how one does when burping a baby. As I did such, Eva whispered quiet enough no one else could hear. 

"You have the same eyes as the Angel who saved me."

Before I could react she let go releasing fresh sobs while holding the stone tight against herself. Moving to hiding in between her mother and father as they all hugged together. My hand dropped to its side. I could feel Hunter looking at me. Most likely confused. 

He probably didn't know I had kept that stone for so long. It didn't matter right now, those words did. They didn't make any sense. Yet as I was about to ask about them she ended the conversation with a quick two words.

"Thank you!" 

That was it. I stood up. Saying nothing. Instead I focused my gaze on the family. For the first time in seeing them, there is a dash of less broken emotions. Not exactly happiness but not depression either. Yet I couldn't shake it. 

Is that how Eva saw this? I saved her? As an Angel? 

More shame tinged at my chest; my eyes ripped away from them. Switching to looking at Hunter. He was staring at me. A soft glare. I hear the mother picking up Eva, the father's steps reversing out the door. They're leaving.

I'm no Angel, an Angel has God. Is there a God who has a creature like me? 

Whatever I am? Really, what am I? I wish I was an Angel. Then I wouldn't have to let this girl believe a lie. Leave here with only a rock for comfort. 

The door closed shut with a loud click. They were gone. Hunter then left too. Heading the opposite direction in complete silence. 

I thought more about it. Standing there between the door and the stairs. The epiphany that had been slowly creeping up on me most of my life finally coming to a turning point. I had a new set of actions now. A final determination from all of this. 

I need to find out the truth.