Chapter 26: Only a Smile Can Be Stolen

Sometimes seeing someone can be almost as painful as losing them. Right now, looking at Hunter, that was getting close to how I felt. Trickling in my chest like the sweat dripping down my neck. I knew something was wrong. He wasn't here to help me. The way he stood, anger brooding on his face. The way his friends held weapons at us so eagerly, ready to attack us again.  

Kirsa must have figured out the same thing as well. As she started to open her mouth to use magic, but before she could Hunter stopped her with magic of his own. His hand turned a dark purple and so did her throat. Immediately, Kirsa fell to the ground, curled up in what looked to be agonizing pain. Blood flooding out of her mouth. Eyes wide open in shock. 

It now was there. The urge to hurl bubbling against the back of my tongue.  

I wanted to do something, anything, but my hands shook as the sensation of walking through mud took over my senses. Like I was weighted down if I tried to move toward him even a little. Not him, not her. 

This wasn't what I ever thought of how we'd all end up. 

Why is he hurting her? 

In the back of my head I could feel another emotion rumbling up. This initial fear was on the fine line of rage- with only my knowing what Hunter could do holding me back. Knowing what he wouldn't do as well. 

This didn't sit right at all. 

I forced the shaking down by relaxing my muscles and exhaling a deep breath. Focusing in on the situation- ignoring all the urges that I could. 

Still I couldn't hide the pissed off look on my face, nor my still wide eyed gaze. 

Kirsa stilled suddenly, her eyes rolled back and her lids shut in barely a blink of a second. I wish I was brave enough to walk over to her then- but I still couldn't. 

One of the others around Hunter started to speak. 

"We need to kill this one right Hun-"

"Shut up!" I growled out, practically yelling. 

My hands were shaking again, but not for the same reason. I stepped in front of Kirsa. Turning my gaze toward Hunter- with a scowl I hadn't done toward him in years. 

"Hurt her and I'll kill everyone. Even you Hunter!" My head jerked upward for just a moment as I spoke. Like the anger was coming in such a heavy wave it'd crashed out of my throat and forced my lips with it. 

The line between the two emotions was broken. 

I don't care what it looks like, I wouldn't give him the chance to do this bullshit. Regardless if I die trying. 

Just as I was about to run over and slap the careless look off of Hunter's face I heard another sound from one of the others. A melodic beat of laughter. 

"A female Lycaetos can't kill their mate," another commented, "they're too weak." 

I turned to that guy, and immediately ran at full force. My hands glowing and my ears and tail already shifted with my wings. Just about to grab him and show him what weak was, until I felt strong arms cross over my neck and stomach- a shock of pain- and then my body shifting back with out my control as I was held in a tight grip and pulled back. 

No matter what strength I used that I had, I couldn't get out. 

More laughter filled around me as they all looked down on me. 

I didn't need to look any further to guess who'd caught me. 

Hunter's scent was no longer hiding. It was in full force. He'd obviously had forgotten to try and cover it up before coming out here to ruin everything we'd had or could've had. 

I growl even louder. Losing, but feeling even more like a beast than when I shift. The swirling in my stomach at the racing of my heart. My brain on the verge of shutting off, just begging to let the burning of my skin and grit of my teeth run the show. 

It was then, amongst all their laughter the cold chill of wind brushed against my face and breeze of his whispers tickled my ear. 

"Now, Ara, "

"Use the necklace on me," 

"Now."

His grip tightened even more, and then my body washed over with a wave of electricity. All my muscles contracted at once and my skin in my chest felt like it was being ripped open. 

I couldn't make a sound, but I knew exactly what to do.

Cold metal dropped back onto my breast. The laughter just started to cease and the dilation in their pupils almost seemed to go in slow mo. 

My hand dropped from Hunter's arm and grabbed the necklace. I ripped it off my neck, his grip loosened slight. The other's began to move toward us, but it was too late. 

I slammed the necklace into Hunter's face, the glass vial shattering in my hand. 

His arms fell to their side and he dropped to the ground. Crashing against the dirt like a tree cut down. His face bloody and cut. 

Completely knocked out.