The Demo

Mar.6, 1994

Jalisa's P.O.V.

It was another day, another dollar at The Glam Slam, considering that it was the weekend.
As yours truly is waiting tables, everyone else is dancing and having a good time. Not that I have a problem with it; I just love listening to music while I work. I got this job two years ago after moving here from Indiana. Why is that? Long story short, I moved out here because I couldn't stand Vanessa, my father's snobby wife. He married her right after my mother died, and she's been a real pain in my a** ever since. I never liked her, and she never liked me. In every argument, my dad would always side with her, but never with me. At that point, I couldn't deal with either of them, so I moved out without even telling them. And I haven't heard from them since.

So, returning to my employment at The Glam Slam: my friend Tabitha told me how popular this club was, so she helped me get a part-time job as a waitress because I'm waiting for the call back from auditions for The Artist and The NPG. Word of the audition circulated when it was rumored that a former dancer for the group had been sacked for unknown reasons. Tabitha convinced me to try since she knows I desire a career as a singer and dancer. So I tried out, and now I'm waiting to hear if I made the audition.

"Girl, I can't wait to get out of here. My feet are killing me." T sighed in exhaustion.

"You ain't lyin' about that." I agreed.

After spending two hours serving drinks from front to back on the floor, she and I are in the back taking a break. We then went back to work for two more hours until it was time to clock out. I was about to leave the club when my boss stopped me.

"Morris, I need to see you in my office."

Tabitha waited at the bar while I followed our boss to his office.When he opened the door, I was taken aback by who was there.

"She's all yours, sir," my boss said before leaving the room

"Please have a seat, Jalisa. I'm sure you're tired of being on your feet all night." He spoke to me. "What I need to discuss with you won't take long."

I gladly sat down in the chair, letting my aching feet to rest. Merely for a few moments since I won't be in this office for long.

"I thought about having this conversation over the phone, but doing this in person was better. I wanted to inform you that...you've been selected to be a part of my band." He revealed.

"Really?!" I said in awe. "Oh, my gosh. Thank you. Thank you very much."

"You'll start rehearsals the following week. I aspect you to be ready by then."

"I will," I assured confidently.

After bidding good night to The Artist, I rejoined Tabitha at the bar and we drove home. Not only did I tell her about meeting The Artist, I also mentioned that I had been chosen to join his band. She was excited as I was. At this point right now, I can hardly wait for next week.