The Ex

Apr. 21, 1994

Author's P.O.V.

The Artist invited Jalisa to accompany him inside one of his studios to listen to a track he had finished for the upcoming concert.

As the song played, The Artist was satisfied that the young woman was enjoying it, which is why he penned the song about her. Jalisa commented on how much she like the song once it finished, which made The Artist more than satisfied. Then they began rehearsing for hours into the night. Following that, he invited her out to dinner in town. Jalisa turned down his invitation because of the anonymous woman's warning about him, but The Artist persuaded her that it was simply a casual discussion, and she agreed.

"Where are you from?" He asked her while they settled at a table in an elegant restaurant.

"Indiana." Jalisa replied.

"As in Gary, Indiana?"

"No, Indianapolis." She chuckled. "What made you think I was from Gary?"

"When you mentioned Indiana, I immediately thought of Michael Jackson."

"I recall hearing about him and his brothers performing all over Indiana when I was a kid, and look where it got 'em. I didn't know them personally or anything like that."

When the waiter came back with wine and took their order, they continued conversing. The Artist is fascinated by Jalisa as she tells him about herself and how her passion to be a singer and dancer began when she was five years old. Even though he was well aware of Jalisa's personal affairs, he still wanted to hear from her.

"When my father had the audacity to announce that he and Vanessa were getting married the day after my mother's funeral, I was p***ed. I knew she put him up to it since she knew she had him wrapped around her finger. There was no way in h*** I was ever going to call that home-wrecking tramp my mother because she was never and will never be."

"I know how you feel." Artist concurred. "I could not stand my mother's new husband."

The Artist offered to drive Jalisa home after dinner. Before bidding goodnight, he informed her that she has a fitting at Paisley tomorrow.

*********

Apr.23, 1994

The band returned to their dressing rooms after yet another stellar performance. As the ladies entered, Jalisa was surprised to see a vase of flowers on her vanity.

"To the most beautiful girl in the world," Jalisa read the card tucked within the flowers

"Does someone has a secret admire?" Stephanie asked.