Chapter Two

I sat upright in my bed quickly, my breathing hard and my heart racing frantically. Charlie's face was still floating through my mind, making my throat tighten with the threat of tears. I hadn't dreamt of him in so long it had been starting to feel like he was never really real. I tried not to think about him too much; it just made me sad to wonder what happened to him and if he hated his murderous sister.

My eyes darted around the room, taking in my surroundings.

I was in our bed. The sun was streaming through the cream colored curtains. Ike wasn't in here, and from the stale smell of him lingering in the air, he hadn't been here all night. I guess he kind of had a right to be annoyed at the very least...

Yesterday...

The second Nate and I came into view of the pack, mayhem ensued.

Three guards came rushing at us and grabbed my new mate, ripping his hand out of mine in the process. Despite my protest and attempts to explain he wasn't a kidnapper, they still shoved him on the ground and held him down by his arms and legs. I was trying to pull them off of him, yelling that I knew him and to get off him the entire time. I ended up on the back of one of the guards, slamming my fists into the back of his head over and over again.

The whole time Nate just laid there, watching me and acting like there weren't three giant wolf guards holding him down and snarling in his face. He was chuckling at me. Did he think this was funny?

That is, until the guard I was currently on got tired of me punching him, and decided to fall backwards, knocking the air out of my lungs and crushing me with his much larger body.

When I made eye contact with Nate, choking and attempting to fill my lungs back up with air, all while trying to push the giant wolf dude off of me; that's when he kicked his ass into gear.

"Please get off of her." He says, using his now free arm to punch one of the guards in the forehead, knocking him back and freeing up another arm. He grabbed the next guard by either side of his head and brought his face down into his knee. I groaned as the last guard finally rolled off of me, immediately coming to the aid of his buddies.

I rolled over on my side, catching my breath and watching Nate's feet walk over to me. Him and the last guard are ignoring each other now, as the guard frantically checks on the other two, and Nate crouches down in front of me.

I make eye contact with him, shaking my head slightly.

"That was all unnecessary." I say, sitting up and looking at the poor guards who thought they were just protecting their Luna.

"They hurt you." He says, staring into my eyes intensely. I feel my face heating up, and my eyes flick away from his.

"Luna. Are you okay?" I meet eyes with the guard who I had been climbing on and recognize Noah's caramel colored gaze. I look to the other two members of the idiot trio Thomas and Zach, who have mostly recovered and are dragging themselves off the ground.

I reach my hand up towards Nate for him to pull me up. I press my lips together into a thin line when all four men come stumbling forward, all offering me their help. I shake my head and roll my eyes, grab Nates, and he pulls me up, a little too closely to him I might add. I was thinking it wasn't close enough. Perv.

"You know, I feel like it should have tipped you off that he isn't a serial killer trying to murder everyone in the pack when I repeatedly told you I knew him." I'm glaring at Noah now, who's growing visibly uncomfortable. His eyes were darting around, refusing to meet my gaze.