Chapter Eleven

Silence.

Silence was buzzing in my ears and had been for the last few minutes.

I was awake. Sort of. I could hear things around me and feel my body, but it seemed as though everything wasn't quite in sync yet. So, for now, I was just laying here. Listening.

I could hear the a.c running, so I assumed I was indoors somewhere. I could smell Ike all around me, and whatever I was laying on felt soft and warm. I was probably laying in our bed.

My entire body ached, and don't even get me started on my head. I'm sure it would be much worse if not for my panther healing, but I could still feel everything screaming and throbbing in pain.

I wanted to wake up now.

I struggled trying to pry my eyes open for a few minutes before they finally listened. It was so bright. Why was it bright? Shit. Was it the next day? Did I really miss my after party? I never got to eat.

My eyes felt crusty and heavy as I blinked, trying to clear my vision. Finally, my eyes cleared enough for me to focus on where I was. Sure enough, I was in our room. The fan above me was on, making the curtain string gently knock against the wall and make a quiet noise. I could hear birds chirping outside. My skin on my face felt dry and stiff and my knuckles felt raw and abused.

I groaned loudly as I sat up, rubbing my eyes as I did so. I blinked, looking around. Where was Ike? I thought he'd be here.

Ike? Where are you? Even sending that thought to Ike seemed to make my head scream in pain. Head butts are definitely a final kill move because I really did go down like a sack of potatoes after I pulled that stunt.

Suddenly the bedroom door slammed open. I jumped, pulling the blankets against me closer like that was going to protect me from an intruder. But it was only a very frantic looking Ike.

"You're awake." He said between gasping for air. "Sorry... I was making sure the wolves who challenged you were doing okay. I swear I've been here all night. Except of course when you woke up." He chuckles and moves to sit on the edge of the bed. He looks my face over, worry clear in his eyes. "How are you feeling?"
"My head fucking hurts." I mutter in a dry raspy voice. He jumps up quickly like he just remembered something and goes to the dresser.

He hands me a cold water bottle and a couple Tylenol before sitting back down on the bed.

I gratefully chug the cool water, almost sighing at how refreshing it felt on my dry throat.

"What time is it?" I ask once I've downed the Tylenol and the entire bottle of water.

"Only six in the morning. You were out for almost eight whole hours. I was getting worried." He reaches forward and tucks a stray piece of hair behind my ear. I find myself shutting my eyes and leaning against his hand, sighing deeply.

"I did it." I whisper. I feel Ike shifting and let him pick me up and hold me in his arms. I had been so worried about this stupid challenge ceremony for the longest time. I was so glad it was all behind me.

"Yeah, and you put on quite the show too." Ike leaned down and buried his face in my neck, nuzzling me gently. I could feel one of his hands tracing lines on my stomach.

"Can I please take a shower?" I ask. I can see he needs some attention, but I feel sore and dirty and nothing sounds more amazing than a steaming hot shower.

"Of course, my Cleo." I expect him to set me down, but instead he stands with me in his arms and grabs a couple of towels he had sitting on top of the dresser before making his way to the bathroom.