Chapter Twelve

It looked like there had been a frat party here last night.

That was my first thought when I stepped outside our home and into the cool, fresh morning air.

There are tables everywhere, all scattered and missing chairs. The aforementioned missing seats are in a circle, musical chairs maybe? There are bottles and cups and other trash littered everywhere. I shake my head, bend down and pick up an empty beer can. Wolves who litter. I continue to pick up trash here and there, piling it onto a stray table for lack of a better spot. It was ironic to me how much wolves liked to preach that humans were filthy monsters who polluted the earth with their existence, and yet here I was, picking up after their night of debauchery. 

"What are you doing?" A voice pierces the silence, making me jump a little. It's Nate. He's fully dressed and to be honest, looks like he's been up and ready for hours. Did he stay up all night too?

"I was just picking up some of this trash before it ends up in the forest." I say, folding my arms across my chest and looking down at the remaining cans by my feet. How did they even drink this much? There were probably enough empty beer bottles and cans and glass liquor bottles laying here to fill up a landfill. I felt sad to have missed such a party.

"How are you feeling?" He asks, taking a step closer to me. I roll my eyes and open my arms, inviting him in for a hug.

He accepts, sighing as he buries his face in my neck. "Someone has been busy this morning." he breathes as he nuzzles my neck and shoulder. "I can smell him all over you." I feel my face growing hot with embarrassment. Was it just because he was so close to me, or could everyone around me always smell when Ike and I had spent time together? I don't think I like that idea.

"I'm sorry." I whisper.

"Why? We are both your mates. One day he will have to deal with my smell being all over you." He steps back then, grinning at me. "Now. I'm not trying to rush you, and I will totally give you a couple days to recover, but now that the challenge ceremony is over, I want to take you back to my home." I had almost forgotten about that to be honest. Hell, I was getting so comfortable with Nate, I had kind of forgotten I had only known him for a few days now. We hadn't had any alone time, barely any time together, period. It only made sense that he was itching to know when he was going to get his turn. 

I guess it was already time for my next challenge.

"Do we have a deadline?"

"Not really, but I would like to leave as soon as possible. The only reason I waited this long to take you back was because of your ceremony." I nod, turning away and resuming picking up trash.

"Give me two days, then I'll be ready to leave."