Flight Class

Later that afternoon, both the gryffindor and slytherin first years were lining up outside the castle.

Just as the gryffindors arrived at the pitch, they face the slytherins and, although they have only been apart of their respective houses for a week, there was clear animosity.

Before the situation got too tense, a witch with short, grey hair and yellow hawk-like eyes walked up to the group and started barking orders.

"What are you waiting for? Stand by your broom!"

Each student stood in two rows, slytherins facing gryffindors, each had a broomstick on the ground and to their right.

Kenny stood between Daphne and Draco and opposite Hermione, who was between Potter and Longbottom. Lastly on Potter's right was Weasley.

The professor, madam Hooch, walked between the rows of students and continued.

"Now I want you to put your right hand over the broom and say, nice and clearly, UP!"

This was followed by a disorganised chorus of high pitched voices.

"UP!"

After this, roughly a tenth of the students had their broom shoot into their hand. Amongst these successful few were Potter, Draco, Kenny and Daphne.

Kenny turned to Daphne and smirked with a raised eyebrow.

"Thought you never learned?"

She smirked also and, with a fake cutesy voice, spoke.

"And you were, what was it, inexperienced?"

"...Touchè."

After a while the other students had stooped repeating the word 'up' over and over which indicated that everyone now had their brooms.

This signalled madam Hooch to continue with the lesson.

"Now I want you to mount your brooms and when I blow this whistle, I want you to kick off the ground hard."

The students did as instructed and awaited Hooch's countdown to begin.

However, it would seem that Longbottom was a tad nervous. He kicked off the ground before the whistle could touch madam Hooch's lips and began to rise quite rapidly.

Higher and higher until he was maybe thirty feet off the ground and he, quite shockingly, slid off the side of the broom and began accelerating towards the earth.

Kenny, being an experienced wizard with quick reflexes, drew his wand and spoke.

"Slow!"

Longbottom, just a few feet from the ground, slowed to a controlled descent and was gently placed onto the ground.

Several students looked from Longbottom then to Kenny.

Madam Hooch was left stunned but after being met with the expectant gazes of the students she quickly broke from her stupor.

Rushing to Longbottom's side, she quickly deduced that, thanks to Kenny's quick thinking, he was unharmed but was in shock and would be unable to participate in the rest of the lesson.

She lifted him to his feet and marched off with him held closely to her side.

He was pale and looked very sick.

"I'm taking this boy to the hospital wing, if I see one broom in the air, the one riding it will find themselves expelled before they can say quidditch."

The second that madam Hooch was out of earshot, Draco and several other slytherins let out the laughter that they had been holding in since longbottom began his ascension.