𝙎𝙖𝙛𝙚 𝙥𝙡𝙖𝙘𝙚𝙨

People. Everywhere. You hated it. You felt like you were a sardine, packed into a can, surrounded by your own kind. Lathered in sweat, surrounded by bodies, and don't get me started on the noise. You hated it. But to get to your personal safe haven, you needed to get through the people first. And god, you needed to get away from the world right now.

So, when you finally found the broken railing leading to a small break in the trees, you were quick to duck under the broken beam and go to your safe place.

Making your way down the makeshift path through the forest of palm and pine trees, you expertly navigated your way towards your favorite spot on the planet.  Reaching a break in the trees, you spotted it:

Rusty, out of commission train tracks.

The waterline had risen during a storm, drowning the metal, and rotting the wood.  And once the water level sank back down to where it oncw was, no one bothered to fix the old tracks up.  They simply let them go to waste, becoming a thin line only inches above sapphire blue waters.  And then you had found them when you got lost on your eighth birthday.  When you got older and got a job, you started buying things to clean up and personalize the area.

Soft solar power Christmas lights lined the inside of the two metal beams.  You had taken some time to paint some of the wooden boards and larger rocks.  You had even set up a tent like thing using a tent so you could keep an old boombox out here to listen to music as you wished.  Then, you could just sneak some cassett tapes out of the house.

You had a collection of music stolen from your parents, or that you had found in the attic.  Some songs to dance to (you were born with two left feet, so you only really danced when you were alone out here), some slower songs that felt like lullabys when you just needed a hug, and even some old classical music you played as background noise while you painted more wood and stones.

You felt free here.  You could truly begin to unwind and relax.  You could be your real self, and not worry about what anyone else thought, because you were completely alone out here.

But there were two people who didn't like the idea of you being alone.  No, not your parents, silly!  Your coworkers!  They were like surrogate younger brothers, considering you tended to look out for them more than their own parents.

The two swore that the towns disappearances were the work of blood sucking, cannibalistic, monstrous vampires.  And they swore to track them down and kill them.  You knew that vampires were only fictious creatures meant to scare young children into behaving, but the two boys tried to preach it to tourists and gullible locals that there was something supernatural afoot.  You tried to get them to stop on multiple occasions, but always failed.  But hey, at least they managed to drive up sales in the horror section.

You worked at the local comic store, your 'employers' usually asleep behind the counter.  Their two sons, Edgar and Alan, were too young to legally handle money (that's why the two paid you under the table).  So, they hired you unofficially.

You had met them years and years ago.  The two had been lost on the boardwalk, and you were taking a walk around to get some alone time.  It had been raining cats and dogs out, so your train tracks would most likely be submerged.  But thankfully, the weather had also made the boardwalk far less crowded than usual.

You found the two boys wandering around, clinging to each other while they called out for their parents.  You quickly made their way over, asked what was wrong, what were their names, so on and so forth.  They answered all of your questions quickly, and also told you that they had seen 'real life vampires eating people.'  You figured they had simply mis-seen things, especially considering the fact they were scared and alone on a foggy dark day.

You began to see them more and more almost everywhere.  It was like the two kept popping up just for the sake of existing near you.  But you didn't mind.  They were sweet boys.  You wound up developing a system with them, so that they felt like they were hanging out and having fun with a friend.  But in all actuality, you were babysitting, and making sure they got a somewhat stable parental figure in their lives, considering the fact that their parents were doing just a bang up job.  

Once they got older and began to work at their parents' shop, they 'hired' you.  That way there was someone around who could handle the cash register legally in case some of the boardwalk's security came inside.

Soon enough, you had managed to calm yourself down, and you looked up into the sky.  On one end, the sun was setting, painting the horizon with shades of orange and pink.  On the other was the half moon, shining brightly.  Maybe you'd be able to see some stars once the sun was down.

You stood up, and began to make your way back to the boardwalk.  You had work soon.  Luckily, you didn't have to worry about a work uniform.  You didn't know if the real owners of the store had one, but their sons didn't give a shit.  So, you could simply go in what you were wearing now.  It was one of the perks of this job that made your life a hell of a lot easier.

You made your way back to civilization, and you hopped back up onto the boardwalk from under the broken beam.  You saw the neon sign for the comic store, and made your way over.  Outside the door leaning over a bin of clearance items, were your two 'brothers.'  They were looking around, dressed like military soldiers.

"Hello (y/n)," Alan greeted, trying to make his voice sound deeper.

"Early, as usual," Edgar added.

"You know what they say," Alan began.  "'Early is on time, on time is late.'"

"Hello boys," you smiled.  "Where are your parents?"

"Asleep," they said in unison.

"I see.  Well, I'll be inside."

With that, you made your way into the store.  There weren't a lot of customers, and it didn't seem like any needed assistance, so you were able to sit behind the counter and keep an eye on the boys through the window.  You looked at the two sleeping hippies, slumped over the TV that was supposed to display the security footage, leaning on each other.  You glared at them for a moment, then looked back to your brothers.  They were staring at the setting sun, preparing to come inside.

Part of their fear of vampires made them hate going out at night.  They claimed that vampires were creatures of the night, and people weren't safe in Santa Carla once the sun dipped below the treeline.  As they made their way inside, you could hear motorcycle engines revving up in the distance.

One problem about the Santa Carla boardwalk:

The gangs.

That's one of the reasons you weren't on team 'the boys saw vampires.'  Odds are, it was just a gang fight.  But, you knew you'd never be able to convince them otherwise, so, why bother?

"So (y/n), see anything suspicious," Edgar asked.

"I saw an elderly man flirt with a teenager," you smirked.  "But I'm pretty sure it was just creepy Dave again, so..."

"No, anything... supernatural," Alan questioned.

"Nope, can't say I have.  Don't worry, you'll be the first people I call if I ever see anything," you reassured them.

The two boys nodded, then walked deeper into the store.  You looked out the window once more, and saw a virtually cloudless sky.  Peeking through the inky blackness of the night, you could see a few stars poking through.

Maybe one day you'd be able to see more.

A/n: happy Easter to those who celebrate it.

Also, I re-watched this movie (and payed attention this time), and saw the vampire's toes.  I HATE THEM WITH ALL MY HEART.  GOD DAMN.  On the one hand, I applaud the people who tried to make them anatomically accurate, but holy shit they look wrong.  It was the first time I've felt disgusted by a scary movie in a long ass time, and it was over fucking toes.