Times Change

Izuku could not do a thing but wait for the building to collapse further. But it never did. Outside the room, he could hear the firefighters and heroes work to put out the blaze... but they never cleared it away. Either through superstition, or due to practicality, the skeleton of the structure was left behind. Just like him.

Cassidy and the group did their best to lift his spirits. For a time, it worked. With no ambition to go towards, they were his whole world. The best, most reliable group of friends he could ask for. But, in the end, even time would be cruel enough to take them from him. His suit demanded remnant, and, one by one, they gave themselves for him to survive. Every time, he'd cry, sorrow etching itself deeper into his soul as they gave up their potential afterlife so that he could continue to exist. Gabriel, Fritz, Suzie, Jeremy... and soon enough, there were only two.

Cassidy remained loyal to him as best she could. But time wore down the battery, and the fire didn't help either.

The day arrived, sooner than he'd predicted. He didn't want to tell her. He couldn't lose his last friend. He'd have nobody.

But, she was able to peer right through his anguish. "It's okay, Izuku. I've had my revenge. I... I think it's my time."

"No, please..."
"All the rest of us have moved... on." She said, drawing close. "I don't want to be the last. Just promise me one thing."
Wiping his ghostly tears, he looked back at her. She was already starting to fade. He nodded, unable to stop her now.

"When you escape, I have no doubt you will... but live your life. Whether that's by getting revenge, or doing something else."
"I will."

Smiling at that, the little ghost girl, far more intimidating, mature, and wise than Izuku was, went over and gave him a hug. He hugged back, gripping her soul as if he could keep her here if he did... but soon, she was gone.

And he was alone.

A day was isolated sorrow.

A week was simmering anger.

A month was boiling rage.

A year was sublime instability.

Soon enough... he shattered within that lonely room.

As most know, diamonds take carbon, what could be a living matter, and subjects it to pressure and heat to make. They also have flaws and jagged faults, which can break and shatter at the right point. While they all believed they had put him to rest, he was actually reforged into a stronger monster.

And he would be ready.

- 9 Years After The Inferno -