11. the talk

chapter eleven

the talk

DAISY ENTERED HER HOUSE and took a deep breath. She was supposed to be staying over at Angela's place for the night but had canceled at the last minute, not feeling like being in the company of anyone at the moment. Her father was fishing with Charlie so the house was empty and for some reason, it felt much colder than previously. 

With a deep breath, she walked the stairs up and into her bedroom but the room wasn't empty like she expected it to be. By the window, a figure was standing.

"Caius," Daisy breathed out as she recognized the man. His presence commanded her attention and stirred a cascade of emotions within her. The air grew heavy with unspoken words and unanswered questions, as the weight of their connection hung in the room.

Caius tilted his head toward her, he saw the hint of fear in her eyes, "You know," he only stated, slightly angry that someone had revealed his secret and not him having the chance to tell her himself. 

"What are you doing here?" she carefully asked as she closed the door behind her but didn't move away from it. Surprisingly she wasn't scared but curious to hear what he had to say. She should have been because a vampire had broken into her house and was now standing in her room.

"You didn't answer my calls," he explained like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"So, you traveled all the way from Italy and broke into my bedroom?" she questioned.

His gaze, piercing yet laden with a touch of desperation, "So, what did the Cullens tell you? With what lies have they filled your head?"

Daisy took a deep breath before answering, "That you are like them, a vampire," Caius lightly scoffed at being compared to the Cullen family but he let her continue, "That you are one of the rulers of the vampires."

"What else?" he asked, his voice carrying a delicate blend of longing and remorse. He sought to understand the reasons behind her silence, to unravel the mystery that had created this chasm between them.

She gulped, "And that you are monsters who want to lock me in your tower."

Her words hung in the air, he reached out a hand, his pale fingers trembling ever so slightly as if yearning for the touch that had been denied, "And you believe them?" He tried to keep his anger hidden but a tint of it could be heard. 

Daisy shook her head and crossed her arms over her body, "I don't know what to think or what to believe in," she started pacing around the room, "Couple of months ago I had no idea that things like vampires existed. Then I learn that my cousin is dating a one and when I finally started to accept that, I learned that the first guy I ever had some kind of feelings for, is a vampire king."