17. the wedding

chapter seventeen

the wedding

THE GENTLE BREEZE CARRIED THE SCENT OF FRESH FLOWERS and the soft rustle of leaves. Daisy and Caius sat among the gathered guests, their eyes fixed on the bride and groom as they exchanged their vows. 

As the ceremony progressed, Daisy felt a pair of eyes on her. Glancing at Caius beside her, Daisy noticed that his attention wasn't fixed on the ceremony like the others. Instead, his gaze was focused on her. She slightly blushed and looked back at her cousin and Edward but she still felt his eyes on her.

As the newlyweds exchanged rings and sealed their vows with a kiss, Daisy couldn't help but feel a swell of emotions in her chest. The joyous occasion was tinged with a bittersweet undercurrent, knowing that Bella would soon be transformed into a vampire. And as the applause erupted and the guests rose to their feet, Daisy found herself smiling through tears of joy and sadness. 

Daisy waited patiently as other guests congratulated the newlyweds but next to her, she felt Caius tense. She looked where he was looking and saw Caius was looking at Seth Clearwater, Sue Clearwater, and Billy Black. "Everything okay?"

His voice was full of anger. "What are the children of the moon doing here?"

Daisy looked at Caius and then back to them and she realized what he meant. What surprised her a tiny bit was that she saw a hint of fear in his eyes that he quickly hid. "Children of the moon? You mean werewolves?" Luckily they were in the back of all the guests so only vampires could hear the conversation between them. 

Caius snapped his head toward her fast. "You know them? You know about them?"  Daisy watched as Caius's expression darkened, his features contorted with suppressed fury.

"I mean yeah. Blacks are family friends of both my father and Charlie. I used to babysit Seth when he was little," she explained, not understanding Caius' anger and fear.

"You have been in the same room as them?" As Caius's grip tightened on her hand, Daisy could feel the weight of his anger.

"I don't understand what's the problem?" Daisy asked. 

"The problem is that the Cullen's have broken another one of our laws. Dealing with the children on the moon is prohibited, except if you plan on killing them," he explained, his tone tense.

Daisy's eyes widened. "Kill them? You can't be serious? Seth is fifteen," she replied. 

"They are dangerous," his jaw clenched with tension, his fists tightening at his sides as he struggled to rein in his anger. The sight of the Children of the Moon, flaunting their defiance so brazenly, was a direct affront to everything he stood for, to the laws that had governed their kind for centuries. "The Cullen's have mocked us for the last time."