22. black heart

chapter twenty-two

black heart

"HOW COULD YOU DO THIS WITHOUT TALKING TO ME?" Oksana snapped at Caius. He had been painting in his art studio when she barged in. Caius hadn't informed him about his plans with Edward or having Daisy decide his punishment.

"I'm your King. I don't need to tell you anything," Caius replied, his tone firm and cold.

"And Daisy is my friend," Oksana pointed out. "You let her choose Edward's demise. You really think this was the answer to her grief and pain."

"I saw that my mate was hurting," Caius dismissed her worries. "And I made her pain go away. I don't regret my choice."

"She isn't like us," Oksana said, her tone filled with sadness. "She's good. Too good for this world. Her heart is filled with empathy and understanding. She's the kind of person who sees the best in others, even when they can't see it in themselves. And she gives so much of herself, without expecting anything in return. She isn't like us."

"Don't you think I know that," Caius snapped but didn't raise his voice. His attention didn't leave his painting for once.

"She would have healed. It would have taken some time but she would have healed but your pride got in the way," Oksana continued expressing her worry.

"The only reason I'm letting you talk to me in that tone is because I know how much Daisy cares for you but I would be careful with your next words. I won't hear it," Caius expressed, dismissing her.

"But at what cost?" Oksana's voice cracked with emotion, her anger giving way to a profound sense of sadness. "Do you even realize what you've done? What you've allowed her to become?"

"I saw her smile," he suddenly lashed, turning to face her. "I saw her smile for the first time since Bella died. I would move mountains if it meant bringing a smile to her face," he admitted, his words carrying the weight of his unwavering devotion. "I would kill everyone in this goddamn world who has ever hurt her to see that smile on her lips."

"You know what this will do to her. She's not herself anymore, and it's because of your actions." Her words were laced with accusation, a sharp reminder of the consequences of Caius's decision to allow Daisy to exact her revenge. Oksana's loyalty to her friend was unwavering, and she couldn't stand idly by while Daisy was consumed by darkness.

Caius's jaw clenched, his expression hardening as he bristled at Oksana's words. "Daisy is stronger than you give her credit for," he retorted, his voice tinged with defiance. "She needed closure, and I gave it to her."

"But at what cost?" Oksana repeated, her voice softer now, laced with desperation. "She may have found temporary relief in her vengeance, but what about the long-term consequences? What about the darkness that now lurks within her?"