13. meeting the big scary vampires

chapter thirteen

meeting the big scary vampires

flashback

"So you guys are like rulers of vampires? All of them?" Daisy asked. Two of them were seated in her bedroom and Caius was answering her questions. 

"Yes. With my two brothers Aro and Marcus and our Guards", he explained. Caius knew that it would come to shock to her what they did but he knew that he needed to be truthful. He wanted to tell her as much as possible before she returned with him to his –their home. Daisy had already agreed to come with him to Volterra but he was afraid that she would decline the offer when she knew everything.

"You have brothers?" Daisy asked surprised.

"Yes and no", Caius started and she furrowed her brows, "They are my soul-brothers and together we formed the Volturi. Aro and Marcus had already met and were traveling together when I joined them. Over time more people joined our forces, more talented individuals."

"Talented? Like Edward with his creepy ability to read minds?" Daisy asked and as soon as he was mentioned Caius scoffed and narrowed his eyes at her.

"He is as talented as the dirt in the bottom of my shoes", he said but still knew that Aro was immersed with both Edward and Alice, wanting them to join their forces with their unique abilities. Daisy rolled her eyes but made a note not to mention the Cullen family if it wasn't necessary. "But yes. Most of our Guards have special abilities that are useful to keep us protected and make sure the laws are followed. For example, Aro is able to read every single thought you ever had when he makes contact with your skin and Marcus is able to sense the strength and nature of relationships between individuals. He serves as a sort of mediator and observer, offering insight into the dynamics within the vampire world."

"And you?" she curiously asked.

Caius looked like he thought for a moment before a sly smile appeared in the corner of his mouth, "My charm and my good looks." This made Daisy giggle and Caius had already decided that it was the most amazing sound ever. He hoped he could have stored her laugh and listened to it for eternity.

"If you come with me you will meet my brothers and our personal guards", he continued.

"And you guys just make sure that everyone follows your rules?" she asked, "It seems weird to think that vampires have rules to follow. Like does someone avoid taxes and you put them in jail?" Daisy was partly joking but she didn't

"The most important rule is to keep our existence hidden from humans and avoid situations that would cause the exposure to humans. There are other important rules that must be followed", he looked carefully at her reaction to see if this information was too much for her. The Volturi were judges in the shadows, preserving the delicate balance that sustained their existence and there she was, his love, the light in this eternal night. She brought warmth to the coldness that had surrounded him for so long. His ancient soul was in the balms of her hands.