12. new start

chapter twelve

new start

"DAISY. THINK ABOUT this before you act", Edward said carefully while Caius still stood between them.

"I have", Daisy responded and noticed how Caius seemed to get tenser when Edward spoke. Just moments before he had had Edward in a headlock, ready to end his life but he had stopped. For Daisy.

"You heard her", Caius said, "You can go now." This now sounded more like an order than a suggestion. Both vampires straightened their backs as they heard a car's engine coming closer to the house.

"It's your cousin", Caius turned to look at Daisy as if he was trying to see if she wanted to talk to her.

She thought about it for a moment before nodding, "Could I talk to her alone?"

"Just call if you need me", Caius gave her one of his rare smiles that was only meant for her.

Bella's eyes were full of panic when Daisy walked to the front yard from the back. She was just getting out of her car and started to sprint toward her.

"Daisy!" When she reached her, she pulled her into a hug and Daisy didn't know how to react as Bella pulled back, "Are you okay? Edward said that he was here, Caius."

"It's fine. We talked and-"

"You talked to him?" Bella spat out in disgust, "You can't listen to anything he says to him. Edward and his family can protect you--"

Now it was Daisy's turn to interrupt her cousin, "Protect me? From him?"

"He's dangerous and he has obviously filled your head with lies but I promise you that you don't need to worry."

"I'm not worried", she shook her head, "He promised to take me to Florence or actually to Volterra but I can still go to the art school", and excited smile found her lips as she thought about her future.

"And you believe him?" Bella asked and took a slight step away from her.

Daisy nodded, "I trust him."

"You shouldn't. You don't even know him", she pointed out.

"Why can't you be happy for me?" Daisy asked, her voice wavering, "I'm finally doing something for me. Not for my father not for you but me. And this is what I want so why can't you be happy for me?"

"It's not the same", Bella shook her head.

"I accepted your choice. Why can't you? I accepted that you're dating a vampire. I was there for you when he left you middle of the forest to freeze to death. I was there when the only thing you did was stare outside of your window", Bella flinched slightly when Daisy reminded her of Edward leaving but she kept going, "And I accepted when you told me that you chose to be turned into a vampire. It wasn't easy but I can understand it because it obviously makes you happy."