chapter five

Loud cheers erupted in the small shop as the band took the stage. Magnolia, Josiah, Tina, and Chloé were standing behind the cash register, letting the band do their thing.

The first song that they played was the acapella song, "Without You, Without Them," followed quickly by "$20."

The band really knew how to carry a performance, even though they didn't have all of their usual equipment, they were still able to create an entertaining atmosphere with just their guitars and their voices. The audience was completely captivated, and everyone could feel the energy in the room.

As they finished up one of their last songs, Phoebe turned to Julien with a smile. "Do you wanna do Anti-Curse? For the final song?" she asked.

"Sure!" she smiled. Anti-Curse meant a lot to Julien. She was grateful that the waves didn't take her that day, because she knew that performing was what she was still supposed to be doing.

The song was one of the only tracks off of 'The Record' that Magnolia hadn't heard yet. She felt herself falling for Julien as her voice filled the speakers.

Her cheeks heated up, a silly, love-drunk grin plastered onto her face as she locked eyes with Julien.

Julien took a big deep breath before belting out the lyrics. The crowd's energy ramped up, taking in the last song on the set.

As the song came to an end, the audience erupted into cheers and applause. The boys started talking to the fans, telling them to pick up a physical copy.

"You're girl's really good, Magnolia," Josiah nudged his sister.

"Once again, not my girl," she reminded him, taking her spot at the register to check out fans who were in attendance at the gig.

"Not yet, at least," Tina chimed in, giving Magnolia a playful nudge. "Come on Clo, let's get the band in the back room away from the fans."

She laughed at her friend's teasing. As Tina and Chloé guided the band out of the room, Magnolia and Julien exchanged shy glances.

Josiah was one of the only people in the room that caught onto the little moment, he made up his mind on the spot that he didn't have to talk to Julien to approve of her.