13.

Imani Bently
𝐎𝐫𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐨, 𝐅𝐥𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐝𝐚

𝐎𝐦𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐜𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐭

$$$$$.

"Yes!" Imani yelled out to her mom only to not hear a response. She rolled her eyes and went back on her phone before hearing her name again.

"Yes!"

Imani huffed and got up from her bed when she didn't hear a response again.

She walked to her moms room and rolled her eyes once she seen her mom squinting as she watched tv.

"You ain't hear me calling you?" her mom asked once she noticed her in the door way.

"I said yes."

"If you replied i would've heard it."

Imani rolled her eyes. Her and her mom didn't have a bad relationship. There was just times when she didn't feel like being bothered and right now was one of the times.

"Roll em again. Watch I punch you so hard they get stuck."

"Punch who?" Imani stuck out her neck and eyed her mom trying to figure out who was she going to punch.

"Anyways girl. You been talking to Poppa lately?"

"No, why?"

"oh, just asking."

"So you called me in here for that? could've been sent through a text."

Imani's mom scrunched her face up. "Ok and i wanted to see your face. now what?"

"I could've sent a picture." Imani said huffing and throwing herself on her moms bed.

"Right."

The room went silent as her mom shifted her focus back to the tv. Imani's gaze shifted to the decor in her moms room.

Eyeing her baby pictures and the little pictures her mom did have up of her brother. She hasn't seen him in a long time.

But she was sure he was dead.

She already practiced how she would react to the police showing up at her house and telling her, her brother was dead.

She cried all she could cry to the point where if they did show up, she wouldn't be surprised.

"You want to make some homemade chipotle bowls for dinner? I seen this girl on tiktok make em." Her mom asked her as she paused the show she was watching and grabbed her phone to go on tiktok.

"Oh I was gone hang with Kyia them later."

"And do what?" Her mom eyed her.

Imani shrugged.

"Alright but make sure yo location on. They was just on the news talking bout that man killing that li girl."

"You talking bout the mexican dude?"

Her mom nodded. "They said he been arrested before for assaulting multiple women. I don't see why they ain't just keep that nigga in there."

"As a matter of fact, just stay in the house. I would hate to have to put my hands on somebody for doing something to you."

Imani scrunched her face up. "Ma that happened way in atlanta."

"Like i said. stay in the house."

Imani huffed and walked to her room. She hated when her mom did this because she never went out at her old house, so being in the house when she made friends upset her.