The Goodbye

Once Mia had finished feeding the horses with Seeley watching her they wandered inside the house to get some food. Booth found it easier to not tell Mia exactly what time he was leaving because she would constantly think about exactly how long she had left with him and it would ruin both their days. This way only he had a bad day.

Abeline was in the kitchen making a chilli for dinner later that evening but it was finished ready for when Cordell returned from town when Mia and Seeley walked into the kitchen. Abeline could tell by Seeley's face that he needed to leave soon but didn't want to tell Mia.

"Chilli?" Abeline asked them as they arrived. Mia immediately looked at Seeley. Checking if he had enough time to eat.

"That would be great, thank you Abeline" Seeley replied with a smile. Silently thanking the woman he thought of as Mia's mother.

Abeline quickly served them some chilli in bowls before placing the bowls onto the table in front of Seeley and Mia. They ate their chilli in complete silence. Neither of them knew what to say. Usually, Seeley just left at night or early in the morning so they didn't have this strange waiting they were struggling with right now. The knot in Mia's stomach was growing by the second. Meanwhile, the knot in Seeley's stomach had reached full size. He hated these moments more than anyone could imagine. As they completed their meal they still sat there in silence.

"Ice cream?" Abeline asked, watching them carefully. She knew the moment Seeley left Mia would too. They never asked where she went for the first 24 hours after he left but every time without fail, she would disappear.

"Sorry Abeline but I am going to have to go" Seeley replied with a sad smile. Mia froze. This was news to her. She knew it was inevitable but not this soon. She wasn't prepared. They silently slipped out of the kitchen and back outside to Booth's car. Abeline watched them go, capturing the image of Mia and Seeley in her mind. It was always hard for her knowing Mia would go MIA for 24 hours. No calls. No texts. Just radio silence for a whole day, sometimes even more.

"Mia, I'm sorry" Seeley said, offering Mia a hug. He could feel her shaking under his grasp but she calmed down as he was holding her. Luckily he had an extra ten minutes since he brought his bag with him. "I'll miss you and I'll be back before you know it"

Seeley let go slowly, checking Mia was able to support herself. She stood there still holding onto one of Seeley's arms. He gave her one last side hug before walking over to his car. He waved at her one last time before sliding into his car and driving down the track away from the Walker ranch.

Once Seeley's red impala had disappeared from Mia's view she started doing her usual Booth had just left routine. She quickly grabbed the halter and saddle for Onyx before setting off down the side of the river. She would ride as far as she could in the next hour before taking Onyx to the stables and slipping away without anyone seeing, almost like she disappeared into the night except it would only be dusk. Onyx was running at full speed towards the edge of the Walker land. Mia knew she needed to turn around and go back to the ranch but this time she couldn't face it. She jumped the fence or rather Onyx did it effortlessly. They were out into the forest now. The trees were flying past quicker than Mia could even process. Then the tears started so she slowed Onyx to a stop. She sat there on the forest floor sobbing quietly to herself as Onyx was walking around eating the grass. She felt pathetic but Mia knew Onyx wouldn't go far especially when she was so upset.

As the sun began to set Mia got back onto Onyx's back and began riding back to the Walker farm. This time instead of riding at full pace Mia chose to have Onyx simply trot through the forest so she could look at all the birds and trees as they passed her. Once they reached the fence Mia guided Onyx towards the track which led back to the stables.