The Army

As the month progressed slowly Sweets and Mia began to find their working relationship easier. They understood exactly what each other did and how best for them to work together. Currently, Mia was working on the forensic aspects while Sweets was working with the FBI agents which worked best for them. Mia was comfortable working in her office which she shared with Angela and Sweets found the bodies too much most of the time and preferred the living. Life seemed to have settled for everyone involved. Mia had even been to visit Russ and his new girlfriend and seen Max again since the kidnapping. 

Then the call came. The one that would change their lives. Mia and Seeley were sat on the couch eating takeout in the apartment they now shared. They were just arranging a trip back to Texas to visit the Walkers and look at Sunset Ranch again. 

Then the phone rang pulling them out of their conversation. Booth just looked at it. He knew exactly what 'Private Number' meant on his phone. He sighed carefully getting up from the couch and heading into the bedroom closing the door. He couldn't face his wife right now. If it was what he thought it was she would be heartbroken. 

"Hello," Booth answered taking a deep breath. For the first time in years, he was feeling extremely anxious. He could feel his stomach turning. 

"Master Sargent Booth," The voice said making Booth's stomach drop. 

"Where to? and for how long?" Booth asked thinking about his wife, his life, and his son. He might never come back and that scared him to death. 

"Russia, a year" the man on the other end of the phone replied. 

"I have a wife and a son now" Booth pleaded, he didn't want to leave them. He hadn't been in the army since before he met Mia. She didn't know what the next year would be like.

"I'm sorry," the man said "It's some training of recruits and some sniper work" he finished easing some of Booth's tension. 

"Okay," He said reluctantly. He promised himself on the other side there would be a proper proposal and wedding. The whole thing. They would fix the house and maybe even have their own child. Go travelling. Everything she ever wanted he would make happen.  

He sat on the bed for half an hour thinking of how exactly to tell his wife that he would be gone for a year. He knew she would be safe with the Jeffersonian squints and the Walkers. But he still did not want to leave her. He wasn't sure what would happen in the year he was gone. 

After half an hour of contemplating how to tell his wife he walked into the living room, he noticed his wife sleeping on the couch. He had to tell her now. His flight was tomorrow. 

He gently shook Mia awake before sitting on the floor in front of the couch. 

"I need to tell you something" Booth spoke gently holding his wife's hands. He could feel them shaking in his grasp. "The army called me they need me for a year" he spoke kissing his wife's hand. 

"So you're leaving?" Mia asked tears filling her eyes. 

"Yes but I will be home before you know it and we can call every week I promise" Seeley explained "And I will be completely safe it's just training some of the new British guys and a bit of sniper work if I'm needed" 

"Okay" Mia said smiling slightly "I love you Mr Booth" She whispered passionately kissing him "Let's enjoy tonight" She knew the army would need him as soon as possible so they probably had less than 24 hours. 

The hours passed all too quickly for Mia and Seeley. Before they knew it Seeley was packing his bag and putting on his army uniform. 

"I want you to have these" Booth said passing his dog tags to his wife who instantly put them around her neck "They'll give me new ones" he explained as Mia anxiously played with the tags around her neck. 

They quickly got into the car and drove to the airport where Booth was flying from. The others from the Jeffersonian were meeting them there to wave Booth off. The next year of all their lives was going to be difficult. The drive to the airport was silent neither of them knew what to say. There were no words to say to each other which would show how much they meant to each other and how much they would miss each other. Nothing could show how much they loved each other. 

As they walked through the airport hand in hand both with their luggage, they knew this could be the last time they would see each other. Once they reached the point where they had to say goodbye to the squinterns and Temperance, Angela, and Jack they each hugged each other. Before the couple separated for their flights the squinterns Jack and Temperance left allowing them to say a private goodbye as Angela was collecting coffee for herself and Mia.

"I love you forever," Seeley said while holding his wife "Meet me in the park when I get back a year from today" 

"I promise" Mia whispered as Seeley gently kissed her forehead "I love you no matter where we are. You are the only one for me" She completed kissing him passionately on the lips "I might even change my name" she joked before they turned away from each other and walked to their gates. 

Unknown to Mia her sister had chased Seeley to his gate desperate to confess something that had been troubling her mind for the past three years. She was in love with Seeley Booth. 

"Booth" Temperance screamed as she saw the FBI agent walking away from her. He turned and looked back towards her. 

"Bones?" he asked shocked that she was following him. 

"I need to tell you something important" She spoke looking at Seeley carefully "I couldn't face you going back to the army without knowing" she continued. Seeley anxiously looked at his watch. 

"Bones" he spoke "Please just tell me my flight leaves in 15 minutes and I can't miss it" 

"I love you Booth" Temperance spat out earning a scoff from Booth "I have for the past three years" 

"Bones" Booth sighed "You picked now to tell me, as I am flying to a warzone. After I married your sister" 

"Yeah," Bones replied stepping closer to Booth who took a step backward. 

"Bones you are one of my closest friends but I love your sister, I married her. There is nothing you could say or do that would make me change my mind she is my wife, my best friend, my everything" Seeley spoke before walking away from Brennan. No matter how much she shouted he didn't turn back. No one could ever make him cheat on his wife or even change his mind about his choice. 

Mia was happy she was heading back to Texas for a while she needed all the love the Walkers could give and all the support possible. She couldn't face being alone for the first 24 hours. This time she wanted her real family. The family who raised her. Loved her. Protected her.  

As Mia was watching the gate she saw someone drop into the seat next to her holding out a take-out cup and offering it to her. 

"Hey Sweetie" Angela's voice spoke from next to her. 

"Ange?" Mia questioned taking the cup of steaming coffee from her friend. 

"I thought you might want some company" Angela replied holding out her hand for Mia to take. 

"You're coming to Texas?" Mia asked looking at her best friend. Angela simply nodded sipping her coffee and squeezing her friend's hand. "Thank you" Mia whispered. She was truly thankful that Angela was always there when she needed her.