The Grave Digger

Angela knew that tonight was going to be a long night. She had to watch Mia, make sure she ate, showered and slept as well as trying to find Brennan and Booth. They could wait for now Angela needed to get Mia somewhere safe. 

"The apartment?" Angela asked Mia who was staring out the window unblinking. Mia gave a shaky sigh and nodded. No one had actually said if Booth was okay or not but she could tell by everyone's calm demeanour that he wasn't injured or dead but the anxious looks suggested he'd not told them where he was going. 

They pulled up outside the apartment block. Mia looked around anxiously. Everything was as it was when she was taken except the Camaro was not there. She still didn't know if that was her dad's or the people who had taken her. 

Angela exited the car and walked around to the passenger door opening it and taking Mia's hand. She knew Mia wouldn't be able to just hop out of the car and walk up to the apartment. 

Carefully they made it up to the apartment and Angela opened the door with the spare key Booth had hidden above the door frame since Mia couldn't risk taking her keys out of her pocket. They were covered in blood from when she was in the car. 

As the two women walked inside the apartment Mia headed straight to the window opening it before pulling something out of her suitcase and climbing onto the fire escape. It wasn't the same but right now it would do. She carefully lit a cigarette and watched the people passing by below. Mia stayed there until the sun began to set. Angela just sat by her side watching Mia from the corner of her eye but not forcing her to do anything she didn't want to. As Mia dozed off watching the sunset Angela disposed of the evidence and wrapped Mia in a blanket before settling on Booth's couch to try and track him and Brennan down. 

As the clock hit midnight all Angela had found was that Booth had driven back to the Jeffersonian collected Brennan and disappeared. They hadn't passed a traffic camera, used a credit card or even been into a shop. Angela decided she should probably shower so headed over to Mia checking she was okay. She was still asleep on the fire escape under the blanket. Angela didn't know what had happened to Bones' younger sister but the fact she found comfort on a fire escape didn't seem like a good sign. 

After checking on Mia, Angela went into the bathroom and got into the shower. She watched as the fine dust of the day washed off and disappeared. Angela felt better until she heard a scream. 

The door to the apartment had opened and the person had walked over to close the window noticing Mia on the fire escape. 

"Bones!" Booth yelled, he was drunk. Bones groaned she was just closing the door, his voice was definitely too loud for an apartment complex at quarter past midnight. "They've left her body on my fire escape" 

That got Bones' attention quickly, she rushed past Booth and climbed out the window squatting next to her sister. As much as she didn't like it her sister was beautiful and looked like their mother. It brought up some repressed feelings for Temperance as she looked at her sister. Carefully, Bones placed her hand on her sister's neck checking for a pulse. But with Seeley's drunk ramblings, it was not an easy job. Mia shot awake and found her sister with her hands around her throat. She screamed. She knew Angela was close by. 

With the scream, the world became full and busy again. Bones shot up jumping back from her sister. Angela ran out of the shower grabbing a towel and meeting the others in the living room. Booth however just stood perfectly still not quite able to process the past 30 seconds of his life. 

"Where were you?" Angela yelled quietly at Booth who suddenly looked very unsure of himself. 

"Mourning my dead wife" He replied cockily like a teenager who had been caught drinking underage. Apparently, still unable to process the fact that she was alive and outside on the balcony.