The Call

Texas

"Miss Keenan?" the voice at the end of the phone said.

"Yes" Mia replied shakily.

"You are listed as Agent Booth's emergency contact" the voice replied sounding very confident. The words cut through Mia like a knife and a very big one at that.

"Okay...." Mia replied looking across at the Walker children although now they're teens. The concern and intrigue was obvious from their faces.

"He has been shot while working and is currently in George Washington University Hospital" replied the voice on the other end of the phone.

"Where?" Mia asked, feeling panic rise in her throat.

"Washington D.C. ma'am" the voice replied "You can come to the hospital or inform anyone else who needs to know" he continued noticing the hyperventilation on Mia's end of the phone.

"I'm on the way" Mia replied instinctively "Thank you for letting me know"

"No problem ma'am," the voice said before putting the phone down leaving Mia to think about the interaction and what she was going to do next.

Looking across at August and Stella. Mia knew she needed to explain the situation to them. But right now she just wanted some time to think.

"Mia" asked Stella looking at the woman she had grown up admiring. Since her mum died Stella had relied on Mia more and more. Mia's eyes met Stella's; she looked like she was about to cry.

"What happened?" August asked from where he stood in the kitchen pouring them glasses of orange juice.

"Booth's been shot" Mia choked out before dropping her head onto the Walker's dining table. Stella immediately sat next to Mia offering her a sympathetic side hug. Stella knew that Booth had been a huge part of her life since he arrived in Texas and had suspicions that she was probably in love with him. August quickly brought the orange juice to the table along with some cookies. Cookies always make Mia smile, especially Abeline's cookies.

As if on cue Abeline walked into the kitchen. Immediately she noticed the children and Mia sat silently around the table. August began flashing her the help me eyes she recognized from when he was in an uncomfortable situation.

"What's happened?" Abeline asked sitting down opposite the three of them.

"Booth got shot" Stella replied, looking across at her grandmother.

"Go to him" Abeline replied almost instantly offering a supportive hand squeeze to Mia.

''Can I go too?" asked Stella, sounding partially excited. Abeline nodded subtly. Stella was 16 now and would be with an adult that Cordell trusted.

Washington D.C.

"Miss Keenan?" Temperance heard Booth's handler say into the phone. The name sounded familiar but Temperance couldn't place where she had heard it before.

Temperance was watching Booth as he lay in the hospital bed. The shock of him being shot by a crazed family member of a victim had unsettled Dr Brennan. She never thought that Booth could be shot. She also never thought she would shoot someone and kill them. She was deep in thought trying to make sense of the day.

Bones' head was spinning. The name Keenan floats around it. It was familiar. She had some form of attachment to it. Was it from a case? Someone she knew in the past?

"Angela," Bones said, attracting her friends' attention "Does the name Keenan mean something to you?"

Angela thought for a while before replying to the negative. Bones then asked around the other members of the team but no one could think of where Brennan might have heard the name Keenan before.