The Wait

After the humiliation of the airport, Temperance threw herself into her work at the Jeffersonian. For the past month, she hadn't seen Mia but there was no doubt that Booth would have told Mia about what had happened.

Mia and Angela meanwhile had been looking at Sunset Ranch. Mia had asked Angela to draw the ranch how she would like it to look fully fixed and Angela was happy to assist her. Mia was smiling again for the first time since Booth left and the phone call where he told her what happened at the airport. She was full of hope and actually looking to the future for once. They had been staying with the Walkers and they ensured that Angela had the best time riding horses and exploring Austin. Stella was obsessed with Mia's new friend and had been asking Angela for fashion and make-up tips. But as the month in Texas drew to a close Mia felt too anxious to return to Washington so she dropped Angela off at the airport and returned to the Walker's ranch.

As Mia pulled her Mustang up at the Walker's ranch she noticed that Hoyt's black car was sitting in the driveway with Hoyt still sitting in the driver's seat of the car.

"Want to have some fun?" He asked as he slipped out of the car when he noticed Mia walking up to his car.

"What kind?" she asked knowing that Hoyt wanted to help cheer her up now Angela had gone home. Hoyt simply held up a bag. Mia could hear the clinking of bottles inside the bag.

"Vodka?" Mia asked causing Hoyt to nod "Whiskey?" Hoyt nodded again "Beer?" again Hoyt nodded.

"Let's go then princess" Hoyt replied grasping her hand and pulling her to the back of the house. They sat on the veranda watching the sunset, smoking their cigarettes and drinking the alcohol Hoyt had provided. Mia knew she needed this. It was perfect. She had missed Texas but right now she was missing her husband.

"I miss him" Mia said as the sun set over the horizon.

"Booth?" Hoyt asked watching Mia carefully. He needed to know exactly what she was feeling.

"Yeah, I married him the night Cordey left Washington" Mia confessed making Hoyt laugh.

"Never thought you'd be that impulsive" Hoyt spoke still watching Mia's face.

"It wasn't impulsive Hoyt" Mia spoke "We had loved each other for over four years, there was never anyone else for me or Booth"

"I'm glad you're happy" Hoyt said pulling Mia in for a hug.

"We found Joy, my sister" Mia continued "and then at the airport she confessed to loving my husband and now I can't go back to Washington. I can't face her" She finished taking a swig of the vodka which was sitting between them.

"Wow" Hoyt spoke "that's rough. What's the plan now?" He asked taking the bottle of rum and taking a large gulp. Mia and Hoyt never really had deep conversations. Usually, he was on the run and not contactable but for Mia it was hard because they were best friends. She missed how they were when they were children.

"I've missed this" Mia spoke still thinking about what her next steps might be. Then it hit her. She was going to finish Emily's plan. Take Stella to Europe. Emily had saved all the money it was going to be Stella's sweet sixteen gift but Emily was murdered before they could even book the trip. "I'm taking Stella to Europe, we leave next week"

"Emily's plan?" Hoyt asked earning a nod from Mia "Impulsive suits you Mrs Booth" Hoyt finished smiling across at her. She seemed happier and lighter now she was doing more impulsive things.

Six Months Later

The excitement in the Walker house was palpable. Today was the day that after six months Mia and Stella would be returning home from their European trip. The fridge in the Walker house was covered in postcards of all the places they had been. Cordell and August had made a banner to welcome them at the airport and Abeline was busy preparing all the food for their welcome back party that night at the bar. August had even arranged a Facetime call with Booth and a flight for Angela and Jack to fly in as a surprise for Mia. Cordell had attempted to get Temperance to come too but she refused however he had called Russ and Max who had already arrived and were staying in a local hotel. Tonight was going to be perfect.