PUDDING AND CAKE

chapter 8

      "Tomorrow our lawyer, Joseph Stanford is coming by

"Tomorrow our lawyer, Joseph Stanford is coming by." Emily said to her girls, at the routine Friday night dinners.

        "Ugh. Crazy Sissy's dad" Lorelei said looking at her mother with distaste.

        "That's terrible. Sissy was a good friend of yours." Emily said, her green outfit clashing against Lorelei's red one.

        "Mom, Sissy, talk to her stuffed animals, and they answered her." Lorelei told Emily as Rory leaned forward and Victoria cradled her head, it had been three days since she passed out and Luke and Sookie had taken her to the hospital, she had a minor concussion but she would be fine.

        "Let's start a new topic." Rory told the group.

         "Your impossible!" Emily told Lorelei, ignoring her youngest granddaughter's remarks for a new topic.

          "New topic, mom." Lorelei said but her words did not seem to register in Emily's mind.

           "Everything's a joke. Everyone's a punchline." Emily said as she drank her drink.

            "Okay, I'm sorry." Lorelei apologized but it wasn't sincere.

            "Mr daughter, Henry Youngman." Emily said sarcastically.

             "Sorry about that. A little trouble with out china office. Well, what did I miss?" Richard asked as Victoria flinched slightly at the loudness of Richard's voice.

            "I was being impossible and then I turned into a Jewish comedian." Lorelei summarized.

            "Ah, well, continue." Richard said as he took of his glasses.

            "Ah. Thank you. Where was I?" Emily asked.

             "Joseph Stanford is coming tomorrow." Rory said to her as she placed the napkin on her lap.

              "Yes, so, Rory, your grandfather and I thought it might be nice for you and your sister to go around and pick out things that you would like us to put in our will, to leave to you girls." Emily told the two girls.

             "Take a look at that desk in my office. It's a really fine Georgian piece." Richard told Rory, before he looked at Victoria. "I also have some psychology books if you want those." Richard told the girls.

            "Why don't I ever bring a tape recorder to these dinners?" Lorelei wondered out loud, missing the smirk on Victoria's face.

           "Anything you want to leave me is fine." Rory told Emily.

            "Nonsense. You should have would you like. So just look around, if you'd like some thing places, sticky note on it. Orange is for Rory and pink is for Victoria, and purple for Lorelei." Emily said as Victoria proceeded to place a pink sticky note on the spoon that was in her hand.