Chapter Twenty-Three

For a moment all I could do was stand there, staring at Meredith while she only stared back at me. Just looking at her I could see her taking me in, trying to see details about me that she hadn't noticed before. Attempting to find similarities between Dylan and I. Ones that didn't exist, ones that would only come to her if she were to imagine them, create them from thin air, an illusion.

"Bria, can we-" She seemed to find her voice first, but I was quick to follow her lead.

"Don't." I cut her off. "Don't even bother Grey. I don't want to hear any bullshit that your guilty conscious has concocted. Though, if you are desperate to do something for me then you can tell that husband of yours that he's an asshole."

"What?" My words seemed to confuse her, as if I were speaking another language.

"It's simple, read my lips: Derek Shepherd is an asshole." I spaced out each word, making sure to drive them into her head. "Now, if you'll get out of my way, I'd like to check on my friend."

I didn't give her a chance to say anything else before I headed upstairs to Mark's room. He was just laying there in bed, but he looked different from when I had last spoken with him. He looked as though he had aged, the way he was laying there in his bed with an expression of pure exhaustion on his face. As I walked into his room though he seemed to do a one-eighty, a smile filling his lips as he sat up.

"Young! Where have you been?" He asked as I walked over and sat in the chair next to his bed.

"I had a trauma." I informed him. "Just got done talking to the kid's mother and thought I'd check up on you. How are you feeling?"

"Like an ox." Though he smiled as he said this I could see through it, I could practically feel his lie trying to soak through my skin, trying to make me believe.

"How about an honest answer this time?" I called him out on it.

"Why don't we start with why you're in a sour mood?" He tried to change the subject. "What crawled up your ass and died?"

"No changing the subject." I shook my head. "How are you really feeling? And no bullshit this time."

"A little out of it, but that's to be expected. I've practically been comatose for nearly a month now." He reminded me. "Now, back to you. What's wrong?"

"Derek." I muttered as I leaned back, staring up at the plain ceiling. "Even after all these years he doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut. I always thought he'd learn that before you learned to keep you pants zipped. No offense."

"None taken." He chuckled. "What did he say?"

"Told Meredith who I am." I looked at him again. "Let's just say that today hasn't been the best of days. The only good thing to come out of today is your waking up."

"What else happened?" He raised a brow at me, clearly wanting some gossip.

"Well, I woke up in Hunt's bed after he found me crying in the rain last night. I tried sneaking out, but he caught me." I started off, causing his eyes to widen slightly. "We talked a bit and then I hightailed it out of there. Then I came into work, planning to quit, but Karev got in my way. He started trying to talk me out of quitting, said that I owed some Avery guy a date because I hurt his feelings. Then I found out you were awake and came and saw you. I went to talk to Derek, but overheard him spilling my life story to his wife. After that I was called into a surgery where I had a heated discussion with Hunt and Karev, revealing that I haven't operated in years. Once that was over I ran into Meredith who tried to talk to me, but I brushed her off and came here."

"Wait, Karev is saying you and Jackson should go out?" Mark cut in, a smile on his lips.

"Out of all of that, that's what you question?" I scoffed.

"Hey, can you blame me?" He raised his hands in mock defense. "Besides, you and Avery would make a cute couple. I can get some more of those nieces and nephews that you promised me."

"I was twenty that last time we talked about that." I couldn't help but laugh. That was something I always loved about Mark, no matter how stressed I was he was always able to help me relax.

"And you promised Derek, Addie, and I all five nieces and nephews. You need to get to work." He grinned.

"Hate to ruin this little matchmaking job you have going, but I'm on a plane out of here tomorrow afternoon." I told him.

"So soon?" He frowned. "I just woke up."

"I have a life in New York, Mark. I can't just stay here forever." I reminded him. "I already extended my visit once, if I do it again then we'll have Amelia here banging on my hotel room door."

"Perfect! I have seen Baby Shepherd in ages!" He gave me a wide grin, clearly liking this plan.

"You mean since you two slept together after the shooting?" I raised a brow. "There's probably a reason behind that Mark."

"What? Addison and I slept together and we still talk. Callie and I slept together and we're best friends." He began to list off different women.

"If we're going through a list of all your lovers then I may need to postpone my flight for a few months." I commented, earning a look from him.

"The point is, what's the harm in Amelia coming to Settle for a while?" He asked. "Why's she in New York anyway? She lives in California now, doesn't she?"

"I never said she was in New York." I pointed out. "And the harm is that my life is in New York, I don't want it being dragged here, not like all of your guys' did. I'm happy living in New York, believe it or not."

"Even after everyone else has left?" He pressed, his voice holding nothing but seriousness in it. "Just think about it Bria. Dylan left after college. Derek left after Addison and I's affair. Addison came running after Derek and I followed, not far behind her. Then Amelia went running off to California. The only one left there is you so why are you so desperate to stay there?"

"That's where I grew up Mark. My whole life, that's been my home." I took a deep breath. "I have memories there. Memories of all of us hanging out. Memories of you buying me my first drink. Memories of Addison and Derek's wedding and being her maid of honor. Memories of Dylan, who memories are all I have left of. You can't just ask me to give all of that up, you just can't."

"You're right, I can't." He agreed. "But what happens when you need help and all of your friends are on the other side of the country? I have a daughter Brianna, I can't just up and leave to help you anymore."

"Mark," I sighed as I met his gaze, unsure of what to say now. Every fiber in my being knew he was right, every fiber except for my heart which was screaming at me to leave Seattle now. "Get some rest, I'll visit you in the morning before I head out."

"Just think about what I said, okay?" He asked me as I got up from my seat.

"Always do." I kissed him on the forehead before heading out of his room. As I headed towards the elevator I spotted Karev waiting outside of it with Avery and one of their other friends. "Of course."

"Howards," Karev called my name when he spotted me trying to walk past them and towards the stairwell.

"What do you want?" I turned to face the three of them.

"Where you headed?" He asked me while his friends just stood beside him awkwardly, clearly not knowing what to really do.

"My hotel, my bags aren't going to pack themselves." I crossed my arms over my chest as I watched the three of them. "Now, was there anything else or am I free to go?"

"Have a safe flight back." Avery spoke up before Karev could say anything.

"Yeah," I gave a small nod, thinking over the plane crash that had brought me to this city to begin with. "Thanks."

With that said I headed for the stairwell and headed down the stairs, taking them two at a time. I really just wanted to get out of this hospital.