Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

{Bria's POV}

*Memory*

"So what are your plans for this weekend?" Mark asked me as we walked down the hallway and towards OR four to scrub in for a surgery that we were doing together. I was having to remove a tumor from a young woman who refused to have any sign of a scar. She said she had to look perfect for an ad that she was trying to get.

"Michael and I are planning on going to the movies tonight. He wants to see that new comedy that just came out." I shrugged. "What about you? Any plans with some ladies for the weekend?"

"No." He drew the word out as he gave me a playful glare. "I'm getting some things finalized for my trip, I leave in a couple weeks."

"Ah yes, your trip to join the 'Brianna Free Club'." I sighed.

"Ri, you know me better than that." He nudged my side with his elbow as we reached the door that led to the wash room for us to scrub in for the surgery. "You can't get rid of me that easily. Besides, I'm only going to be gone for a week tops."

Before he could say anymore he was cut off by my phone ringing. I pulled it out if my scrubs' pocket and read the caller ID to see that it was Dylan.

"Who is it?" Mark asked as I hit the end button and sent the call to voicemail.

"Just Dylan. I'll call him back once we finish the surgery." I followed him through the door. Not thinking twice about the phone call.

*End Memory*

I just stood at the end of the OR hallway and stared off into space as other doctors and nurses passed me by to get to wherever they needed to go. The memory played through my mind over and over again, like someone kept hitting the repeat button. I kept hearing my phone ringing and how I had sent the call to voicemail without a second thought.

"Dr. Howard?" I blinked a few times and saw Murphy standing in front of me with a confused expression. "Are you alright?"

"Is the patient prepped?" I ignored her question, letting my eyes wander down the hall again.

"Yes, he's in the OR now. He wants to talk with you before they put him under though." She informed me. I only nodded before making my down the hall and towards the OR that we were in, OR four.

I ignored Murphy even being there beside me as I tied my surgical mask over my face and scrubbed my hands clean in the sink. I looked through the window that separated the scrub room and the operating room. I could see everyone going about to make sure everything was in place. On the table I saw Austin lying down with his head shaved for the operation. He was tapping his hands on the table he laid on, clearly nervous about the fact that he was about to have his head opened up and having me cutting into his brain.

Once I was done scrubbing my hands I made my way into the OR and was assured with putting on an operating gown and some gloves.

"How are you holding up Austin?" I asked him as the back of my gown was tied behind my neck.

"Alright, not too excited to have my brain become sushi." He gave a weak laugh as I walked over and looked down at him. I smiled at him even though he couldn't see it through my mask.

"I heard you wanted to talk to me?" I asked as I heard the doors to the scrub room open again.

"Yeah," he licked his lips as he glanced around the room before settling his gaze on me again. "I heard that sometimes these surgeries don't always go well..."

"It's all going to turn out fine Austin, I've done this procedure more than a dozen times." I assured him when he trailed off.

"If something does happen though, I left a note in my room under the mattress. Please make sure that Emily gets it." He told me, his eyes pleading.

"How about instead I get this tumor out of you so you and Emily can get heading home in a few days?" I offered as I nodded to the anesthesiologist and watched as he stood up and placed the mask over Austin's head and nose. Austin simply breathed in and I could see his eyelids growing heavier and heavier until they closed.

"We're ready when you are Dr. Howard." One of the nurses informed me as I took my place behind the operating table to I was next to Austin's head.

"Alright everyone, let's make Mr. Eckertt here tumor free."

{Avery's POV}

The surgery had been going for nearly half an hour and the gallery was filled with residents, attendings, fellows, and interns. All of us wanting to get a look at just how good the new attending was. Throughout the whole surgery I've been sitting in the gallery with Alex, Meredith, and April as we watched her every move, trying to see why Shepherd had recommended her to Hunt and Webber as his temporary replacement.

"I can't believe she side lined us." I could overhear one of the interns mutter for the twentieth time as she sat and watched with the other interns. "All morning we were running labs and prepping the patient, but she doesn't even let us inside the OR when she was the one that disappeared for over an hour."

"Maybe that's how they do things at wherever they came from?" One of the other interns tried to defend Bria as she started to carefully remove part of the tumor.

"What the hell?" Alex swore. I focused back on the OR below to see that Bria had seemingly frozen and she stared ahead and the other end of the operating room, as though she were seeing a ghost or something.

"What's she doing?" April asked us, as though we would have the answer.

"She froze." Meredith said, her voice seeming to be filled with disbelief. I looked again and saw that she was right. Bria still had the scalpel in her hands and had a faraway look in her eyes, for a moment I swore that I could see tears in them.

"Someone go and page Nelson, get him in there." I told the interns. If she kept this up then the patient was going to end up with possible brain damage, if he didn't die. One of the interns hurried out of the gallery in search of the other Neuro attending.

A/N: Not the best chapter but I've had little but if writer's block lately. The next chapter will be better!!!