Chapter Thirty-Seven

"Maybe you should hold him?" Karev said as I walked into the lounge a little over a month after I'd given birth, for my first day of work.

"Do I even want to know?" I looked between him, Jackson, and Yang as they all sat around the table. At my speaking up they all glanced back at me, Karev and Jackson both giving me a smile while Yang only rolled her eyes.

"We're talking about Webber. Jackson's mom is worried about him." Karev explained.

"I didn't know you were coming back today?" Jackson commented as I walked over and sat down at the table with them.

"No one did." Yang piped in as she took another bite of her banana. "Probably because she's had herself in exile for the past month."

"Hey, I was busy raising my son." I reminded her.

"She has a point," Karev commented, siding with Yang. "Everyone's tried to get ahold of you the past month, wanting to visit and meet your kid, but you always turned them down. Do you have any idea how annoying Torres can be?"

"Torres?" Yang scoffed. "What about Derek?"

"Sorry, I just wanted my maternity leave and not have to deal with everyone in my face." I shrugged. "It's been a while since I've had some peace and quiet."

"How is he doing?" Jackson asked. "Your son."

"He's good." I smiled widely as I spoke about my son. "He's healthy and doing great."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Doesn't this look like fun." I commented that afternoon as I walked into the conference room to find Derek and Ross playing each other in ping pong.

"Torres says it'll help my hand get better prepared for surgery." He informed me, not taking his eye off of the small ping pong ball as he and Ross continued to hit it back and forth. "I didn't realize you were coming back today."

"No one did." I shrugged as I sat down in one of the chairs that'd been pushed to the side of the room. "So, who's winning?"

"I am." Derek sighed before he caught the ping pong ball in his hand. "Take a break Ross." Once Ross was gone Derek turned to give me his full attention, setting the paddle and ball down on the table. "How was your time off?"

"Relaxing." I told him the same thing I'd told the others. "You always hear how frustrating babies can be and how they cry a lot, you would think it'd be annoying after the first couple times, but it doesn't. Even with all the crying it's just hard to believe that he's really mine, that I made that."

"It must be different than raising Abby." He commented, a small smile on his face.

"It is," I agreed. "When I got her she was a teenager, she already knew how things worked and what everything was. I mean, sure I've taught her some things, but this is different. This is my own kid, someone that I'll be there for every step of the way."

"Speaking of Abby, has she met him yet?" He raised a brow at me.

"Not yet." A sigh escaped me. "I called Addison and suggested that she and Amelia take time off work and bring Abby here so they can all meet him, but Abby refuses to miss anymore school. Then when she was on break she wanted to spend time with her new friends. I get that she has a life in California now, but I can't help but feel as though she doesn't want to see me, as if she's mad at me. I went to make things better but I don't know how to."