Chapter Twenty-Six

Picture is of Abby

Chapter Twenty-Six

One Month Later

"Hurry up Abby, you can't be late for school!" I knocked on the bathroom door, hearing the shower still running.

"I'm showering!" Abby yelled from inside.

"Well hurry up." I headed back towards the living room and kitchen where Amelia was pouring some coffee into a travel mug for herself. "How can one person take up the bathroom for so long?"

"We were teenagers once, I'm sure our parents went through the same thing." She shrugged, taking a sip of her coffee. As she did though her eyes widened, realizing what she'd just said.

"Don't worry about it." I waved her off before she could try to apologize. "So, you have a busy day planned?"

"Just a normal day at work." She said as her phone began to ring. I just watched as she pulled her cell phone out of her pocket and checked the caller ID before she answered. "What do you want Derek?"

For a minute everything was quiet and I just watched as she listened to her older brother talk to her over the phone. Whatever he was saying didn't seem to sit well with her though. I watched as the smile slipped away from her lips and was replaced by a frown, her eyes filled with worry.

"What is it?" I mouthed. She just shook her head at me though and held out her phone with a shaky hand. I frowned as I held the phone up to my ear. "Derek?"

"Bria," Derek sounded surprised to hear my voice.

"What's going on? Why does Amelia look like she's about to have a breakdown?" I asked him, not taking my eyes off of my friend.

"Bria, it's Mark." Derek sighed on the other end of the line. Jus those three words were enough to make my blood run cold, fear beginning to creep in.

"What happened?" My voice shook as I asked this.

"Last night- last night he started to crash." Derek seemed to struggle to get the words out of his own mouth. "They were able to get his heart going again, but he hasn't woken up. They had to put him on a ventilator to get him to keep breathing. Bria, he's in a coma."

"Do they think he's going to wake back up?" I asked him, dread seeming to soak into my bones.

"We're not sure." Derek admitted. "Webber told me that Mark filled out some paperwork the other day. Mark decided that if he doesn't respond within thirty days that he wants to be taken off any sort of life support, to have us let him go."

Not wanting to hear another word I ended the call, dropping the phone onto the counter with a small clatter. This couldn't be happening. It just couldn't be happening. Not to Mark.

"Bria." Amelia said my name in a whisper. I didn't bother looking at her. All I could do was try to process the news that I'd just been given.

Mark was basically on life support. My best friend was on life support, he was dying. The man that had been by my side for everything was dying. The man who had become an older brother to me over the years was dying and there was nothing I could do to save him. After all the times he had been able to come to my rescue I couldn't come to his, the one time that he needed help I couldn't be the one to give it to him.