Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

"Hold the elevator!" A voice called out as the doors started to slide shut as I pushed the third floor button. I ignored the voice, making no move to keep the doors open, but the owner of the voice was fast. Just before the doors could get closed enough of the way someone to be unable to stop them an arm shot through the gap, causing the doors to open again.

"Thanks for the help." Karev's voice dripped with sarcasm as he stepped into the elevator. He went to press a button as the doors began to close again but withdrew his hand when he saw that the third floor button was already lit up.

"I never claimed to be helpful." My voice was monotone as I spoke, void of any emotion. He seemed to notice this as he looked at me again, taking in my appearance.

"You're not dressed for work." He pointed out my jeans and top, no bag containing fresh scrubs in my hands, only a small purse.

"I thought you and I already went through this?" I rolled my eyes. "Do we really have to run through it again because I need to go and talk with Hunt."

"You're really quitting? After one day?" He raised a brow at me. Clearly he hadn't believed me before when I'd told him what I was planning on doing.

"Quitting and flying back out to New York." I nodded.

"What about Sloan? Didn't you come out here to nurse him back to health or something?" He asked as the elevator doors opened on our floor and we stepped out.

"I'll ask Hunt to keep me updated on his condition and if there's any drastic change then I'll come back." I told him my plan.

"What about Shepherd? Aren't the two of you all buddy buddy too?" He followed me down the hall towards Hunt's office. "What about his recovery?"

"You know, I think I'm going crazy, but it sounds as though you're actually trying to talk me into staying here Karev." I turned on my heel to face him. "Why is that? I thought you and your friends didn't like me?"

"What gave you that idea?" He played innocent.

"There's the fact that you all questioned Derek about me." I pointed out and for a second I could see a flash of surprise in his eyes. He clearly wasn't aware that I knew about that. "I know that you've all been trying to find information on me since I got here. There's a thing called asking, you know that right?"

"Last I check Avery did but you told him to mind his own business." He recalled.

"He asked me while I was dealing with my friend being in a plane crash and having heart problems." I dismissed his point. "Sorry if I don't find that to be an appropriate time to discuss my work history with a stranger. Did that offend your friend?"

"As a matter of fact, I think you did. Maybe you could take him out on an apology date?" He suggested as I stopped walking and turned to look at him. Amusement was playing across his features, though there was still a seriousness to him.

"You want me to go on a date with pretty boy?" I raised a brow at him, waiting for the laughter.

"I'm sure that he would love it." He drew out the word 'love', slight sarcasm coating his words. I just rolled my eyes before turning and continuing down the hall as I heard him continue to follow after me. "You're seriously going to drop the job after one bad surgery?"

"Yep." I answered simply.

"What, have you never had a surgery go wrong before?" He asked.

"Everyone has a bad surgery in their career. I on the other hand had to be kicked out of my OR after literally freezing while cutting into a man's brain. I was then later kicked out of the patient's room by his screaming wife." I pointed out. "I think that qualifies as more than a bad surgery."

"About that, why did you freeze up? It looked like you were looking at someone." He recalled, causing me to tense slightly, not enough for someone to notice unless they were looking for it.

"That would be none of your business." I snapped at him. "Why are you even talking to me anyway? I thought all of you wanted me gone so your lives could go back to normal? Aren't you getting your wish?"

"As entertaining as this is, I just thought that you'd like to know something." I stopped again, giving him all of my attention.

"What would that be?" I asked.

"Sloan's awake."

A/N: Short chapter, sorry! I'll try and make the next one longer!!!!