Chapter Forty-One

Chapter Forty-One

"I am telling you, once we got those doctors talking, it was a horror show." Callie told all of us as we sat around Meredith and Derek's house, talking about her and Webber had gone to check out one of the other hospitals that Pegasus had bought.

"Ssh. I just got Sofia back down." Arizona hushed her.

"Yeah, I'm not wanting to deal with a crying baby right now either." I added, gripping my cup of coffee tightly as Meredith's baby monitor sat in my lap, listening in case Mark woke up from where he was sleeping in the crib that Derek and Meredith had let me lay him down in.

"Oh, and, uh, Portland Gen has quotas now." Callie went on in a hushed voice. "Yeah. It's unspoken, but it's understood that you have to churn out a certain number of procedures."

"And no research?" Meredith frowned as she looked over one of Pegasus' brochures.

"Nope. Pegasus is only interested in high-volume, high-price-tag procedures." Callie shook her head. "Barely any patient interaction. So no research, no innovation, no opportunity to do what it is we got into medicine to do."

"Well, we won't let that happen to us here." Derek said.

"Oh, yeah?" Callie scoffed. "That's what they said at first. And then the people that fought management got fired, and the rest wore down or they left."

"I'm not afraid to be a martyr." I volunteered myself. "If they think I've given them reason to worry already then they're in for a rude awakening. I've already been fired from one hospital for speaking my mind, I'm not afraid to make it two."

"Now, I don't want to leave, I don't want any of us to." Callie shook her head. "Come on, we have to do this. We have to buy the hospital."

"Whoa. Hold on." Derek told her.

"Maybe she's right." Meredith suggested.

"Just wait." Arizona shook her head at all of us. "What if we don't want to?"

"What are you talking about?" Callie looked at her wife as though she were crazy.

"I'm sorry, it's never been my dream to run a hospital." Arizona defended herself.

"Okay, well, you might not have to run it." Callie pointed out.

"Shouldn't Yang be here?" I pointed out. "She's the other fourth person who won the lawsuit, not me. I don't even understand why I'm here to begin with."

"You're here because you're not afraid to speak against Pegasus." Callie told me. "You're not afraid to let them know exactly what you're thinking."

"Besides, I know that you have enough money saved up to help us." Derek added, causing my eyes to snap onto him. "Mark told me that when Dylan died you were awarded a lot of money, both from his life insurance and a settlement."

"A settlement?" Meredith questioned.

"After my brother died I lashed out, I sued a bunch of people." I informed all of them. "I lost a couple of the lawsuits, but I won more than I lost. But, Derek, that money is supposed to be for Abby and Mark, for when they both go to college or if there's ever an emergency."

"An emergency like a bunch of idiots trying to buy out our hospital?" Callie asked.

"Anyways, I just got back to work and, Derek, you just got your hand back." Arizona pointed out. "And Bria just had a baby. Don't you guys want to just work?"

"Work where?" Callie asked. "I don't want somebody telling me which patients I can and can't treat."

"Or putting a stopwatch on how much time you can spend with them." Meredith added.